1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 13, 2010.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A buddy of mine came to me asking for advice and I didn't know what to tell him. He was layed off a couple of months ago and has been barely surviving on stringer work.
    However, there have been several openings recently that he's felt qualified for, but because of his mortgage, he's worried that by moving he'll end up trading one set of problems for another.
    Has anyone else dealt with this problem and what sort of solutions have you found? Is it worth it to move to have a job if you end up with a home in another state that you can't do anything with?
    It kind of sounded like too much of a risk to me.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's in the newspaper field, he definitely should not move. He'll end up being out of a job in a few months again, and he'll be out all sorts of moving and other expenses.

And is he moving to a more metropolitan area, or less of one? If he's near big cities, he'll have a better chance of finding a stable job. If he's moving to Podunk, he may end up in the same situation that he's already in.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cash for keys.

4. Even without the extra problem of having a mortgage, moving for a job is a bad idea unless it's a great job with good security. Doesn't matter if it's journalism or beekeeping. Personally, I'd only move for a job that'd be a major step up for me, career-wise.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

We ended up having two mortgages for a year. It was a long year. I'm guessing the housing market is still a buyer's market, so he might want to go into it thinking that he'll need to sell his house quickly (and thus avoid two mortgages) and sell low. Short answer: Yes it is a risk. But then again, I guess so is not having a full-time job or insurance and trying to live on stringer $$.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Same boat here...sold house in the winter and am now renting in preparation for a possible move (newspaper jobs). Although after about six months searching, we're about to give up on the big move and find a way to make things work where we're at.

Making a move only for a big career jump and a lot of security seems like sound advice to me.

7. flexmaster33

be sure to check cost of living, too. For us a move to the Midwest would be like a big raise, but getting a job on the West Coast could sink you with living expenses.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some newspaper jobs are stable. There are a lot of weeklies doing well, and you can make an OK living, especially in the Midwest.

9. flexmaster33

Hey Stitch is that "okay" or "zero-K" ... lol

And yes, in my own job hunt the Midwest is really the only area worthwhile moving to simply because houses are so affordable.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Southeast has some affordable areas that are hiring. Both Mrs. Editude and I are looking, and we can be more flexible because we rent. Try to get the new gig to pony up some substantial moving help.

11. blahblah

blahblah New Member

I'm in a similar boat - open to moving away from my current area (Midwest) for the right job, but I don't have a mortgage or family tying me down. Some people have asked me to consider moving first and then finding something in that market, to which I promptly ask what they've been smoking.

12. nate41

nate41 Member

I got an offer for something almost a day's drive away, for not much more then I make at my supermarket job.

It's tough, because while I don't have a full time job, I have three part time gigs I enjoy. It would also mean leaving behind the girlfriend. While we are far from serious, I enjoy the situation I'm in, both socially and work-wise. So moving all that way just doesn't seem feasible right now. If/when I'm single and have some more money in the bank, I'll be jumping at chances to move out of the region.

Draft saved Draft deleted