1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving cross country in two days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Movers show up tomorrow to load the U-Pack trailer. Has anyone else done the U-Pack thing? I'm not worried and it is close to being a wash to renting a UHAUL when you factor in gas, insurance and tolls.

It looks like I'll be writing some after the move. I'll freelance for one news/sports website and have a few interviews for part-time desk positions. Those jobs will tide me over until the fall semester when I start grad school.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just reading that made me break out in hives. I hate moving, can't imagine going across the country. Good luck.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you terrified of going through flyover country, spnited?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you are taking I-70 through eastern Colorado and western Kansas, I pity you. Buy about 25 cans of Diet Mountain Dew to keep you awake. And just hope the world's largest prairie dog is still presiding over the world's smelliest, foulest petting zoo.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Turn around if you see a "Welcome to friendly Mexico" sign.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I did the U-Pack method when I moved from North Carolina to Indianapolis in 2002. It worked out fantastic. Since I was moving to a city where I basically knew no one, I called a moving company and hired them to unload the truck when it arrived. That was money well spent. If I were to ever do a 500-mile move again (their minimum), they would be on the top of my list as far as phone calls.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What does dickhead's comment have to do with me?

I have no problem going through flyover (or drive very fast through) country.
    It's the South -- where redneck cops think they're still fighting the War of Northern Aggression-- that scares me.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll be in flyover country until I hit Minnesota. Movers loaded the U-Pack. They forgot to bring a dolly and took an hour to get back. Both guys worked about half the time as they were both texting and chatting on their cell phone. The load is 2 feet short of my quote, so I'll save some cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted