1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving cross country, any advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Googlaw, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I pulled a car behind a moving truck and it was terrible. If you go that route make sure and get the kind of trailer that has all four wheels up on the trailer, not the dolly type. I used the dolly type and nearly killed myself in Denver, Raton Pass and Amarillo.

That said, try and have fun and don't let the length of your trip stress you out. I saw a large swath of the country I'd never really seen and it was cool.

As far as the giant I-10 sign earlier in the thread, I hope you don't have to do I-10 through Texas. That will be part of your life you will never get back - just ask Buckdub.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've done the southern route a few times. West Texas is brutal. I echo someone else when I tell you to get XM or Sirius. You won't regret it.

Also, towing a trailer for that distance sucks. Don't do it unless you have no alternative. If you're planning to tow your car behind a U-Haul, do a Google search for the series the LA Times did on this earlier this year. You will be scared out of it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Watch out for deer, and if you break your leg within 50 feet of the finish line, just crawl across.

Oh, wait, you said MOVING cross country.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You will, however, be able to see this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes, yes you will. Though that is a couple of miles off the freeway and in a pretty racist town.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've been to every restaurant in that town. Pizza Hut rules!

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll add one more thing. If you plan to take your time -- like a week, or so -- ditch the freeway and hit the back roads. I drove from Seattle to San Antonio, avoiding the interstate for all but about 150 miles.

It was a wonderful trip. You can see so many interesting, and tasty, I might add, things in this country when you get off that damned interstate.

Absolutely a blast.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have done it twice and got to see/experience parts of the country for the first time. Definitely, take your time. It helped that I didn't have to pay for any of it each time (the move, got per diem for food and hotel and gas money).

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Take the scenic route and enjoy some Ding Dong Daddies.
    [​IMG]

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey, it's slappy's old sig. They made the playoffs this season. Way to go dumbasses!

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Be careful if you swing through Dodge City, you might never get out.

If you swing through Fort Scott, on the eastern fringe of Kansas, stop by the Bourbon County Fair; fun times galore ...

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with stopping when you need to, but pulling over to take a nap at a rest stop is a Criminal Minds episode waiting to happen. Fork over the cash for a room.

Draft saved Draft deleted