1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Compensation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, May 20, 2008.

1. captzulu

captzulu Member

Yes. One time the newspaper gave me $2,000 to cover expenses for an out-of-state move; the other time, the paper told me to start working a week after my official start date, so that I got one week's pay as moving expense.

Oh, and if you're moving out of state, unless you're moving cross country, don't use those inter-state moving companies. They are friggin' ripoffs and a-holes. They make you tell them EVERY item you have to move over the phone (like I know exactly how many boxes I'm going to have a week before I finish packing). When they get there, they start tagging every extra box and charging you for it. The $2,000 I got barely covered the move. I had to do a same-day move b/c tight timeframe. The movers were very late getting to my old place to move the stuff out, and then tried like hell to weasel out of having to get to the new location (about 4 hours away) the same day. Uh, that's what I'm paying you for! And they were very weird about payment too. Won't accept plastic or even a money order from a bank. So I had to go find a local bank's office and withdraw hundreds in cash. When I made that same move back later, I just rented a U-Haul and hired local movers to load up the truck for me. Saved me a ton of headaches and money.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Didn't need to move, yes, no and no (I commuted for a bit). Had I asked for the last move, I probably would have gotten it. But it only cost about $120 to do it.

3. My sense is that companies are trying to pay less for moves. Just from what I read and hear from friends and others in the biz.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

First paper paid $250 for a cross-country move. Second paper paid $1,000 for a cross-country move. Third paper paid $2,000 for a cross-country move.

Draft saved Draft deleted