1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Compensation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, May 20, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hello, folks. I posted yesterday about having graduated recently from college and trying to get into the business. After mulling over several scenarios, I've decided that moving is the plausible alternative to sticking it out in New Hampshire. When and if you moved for a job, did your newspaper help compensate you to get you situated into your new area? Thanks.

-Kevin

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. All three times I've moved.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, no move needed, no, yes.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, yes, no (my option; they offered an extra $2,500 or pay for my move which was half that)

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think Kevin's problem is that his location could scare off some papers from taking him into consideration. Some want candidates to interview in-person, but won't pay for it or will only bring finalists in from nearby.

As for moving expenses, don't ask unless you get an offer. Same about salary. If a paper wants you bad enough or aren't cheapskates, they should throw in at least a $1,000.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Moved cross country once and it was paid in full, including gas, hotels and food to cover me driving plus a fully paid house-hunting trip.
    Last move was nearly cross country and same thing, fully paid, including gas, hotel and food.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There might be some papers scared off, too.

It's your job, man. Come on.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes, yes and yes. But at that second "yes," a mid-sized paper, they'd stopped doing it by the time I left. Or, rather, started treating it as an advance on your first few paychecks.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Papers do pay, but for an entry level position, probably not, unless it's a larger paper.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Every paper I've ever worked at paid, most up to $500, I believe.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I got $500 to move 2,500 miles. Didn't even cover my airfare in full. Started from scratch once I got there.

Draft saved Draft deleted