1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving checklist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm looking for a job, I focus on ones that offer money. I recommend movers to the same.

Last time I moved I think I just bought pizza and pop. I may have given them $20 as well. Can't remember. That was literally all I could afford to do.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never tipped movers, other than giving them drinks and snacks.

Like JR said, fees for services rendered covers it plenty. Yeah, it's hard work, but that's what they signed on for.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Let's see, I've moved cross-country....twice? Packed all of my shit up five times (not counting moving around during college). I'm an expert mover and thankfully, we've never had to actually hire movers.

That's what family is for. ;D My uncle and cousin operate a trucking company and they moved us all over the place and when I moved out here, it was me, my dad, a U-Haul and a dolly. I blissfully lived on the first floor. When I moved to my new apartment, it was me, a friend and a dolly. I only own two pieces of furniture I can't move by myself: my huge ask desk and mattresses. The worst thing to move was my book collection.

Make sure to provide what you're saying you're going to (food, snacks). If they do a speedy job and don't scuff up your stuff and you feel like it, tip them. If not, they're getting paid for a reason. It's not like they're getting stiffed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I used to know a guy that writes comic books. He had a rule that he didn't own more than what would fit in his van. He had a tendency to wake up every few months and decide to move to ______________. I knew him when he lived in Austin. Prior to that he had lived in Phoenix. I fell out of contact with him when he moved from Austin to Las Vegas. It should go without saying that he lived primarily in furnished apartments.

I'm sure you've taken care of this, but just in case: get your mail forwarded.

And let the courts know your new address so that your restraining order against me is up-to-date! :D

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

All moved, and the AT&T Uverse guy just left so I have TV and internet and phone now too. Phew!

Tipped them $20 each, plus some beer. They were taking the beer back to share with the others. Boo! Third floor to third floor with no a/c in the new place, I think they sweated THROUGH one of my boxes of books (ew). But I'm in and set and good, so we're good to go.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Glad to hear....that you're all moved in AND that you did the right thing and tipped.

7. imjustagirl

Oh, honey, I always tip. I might not eat for the next two weeks, and I'm flying home standby to save $200...but I ALWAYS tip.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good for you. One of the few around here, it seems. Sad.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've started tipping our receptionist every time she puts a call through to me.

10. imjustagirl

I hope she tips you every time you're a douche. You'll be rich in no time!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm only a douche when people don't tip me for holding doors open for them.

12. imjustagirl

I WOULD tip someone to say "no problem" to you when you say thank you. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted