1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving checklist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Aug 19, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm scatterbrained as all hell. Movers show up in three hours. I've got everything they're not moving moved over to the new place. I've written down my Tivo Season Pass list since I'm switching to AT&T UVerse. I've set up all services there. I have my new phone number.

What else do I need to make sure I do in the next three hours before I'm without internet for about 24 hours?

HI SPNITED!

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Other than turning off the elec and water, and all that stuff....sounds like you have it all wrapped up.

Tip the movers with a case of beer.

3. imjustagirl

I can't afford beer. They're getting water and maybe pizza, and they'll like it! I have a lot of cool water, though, since I'm going third floor to third floor (with no a/c) in 90-degree heat. Thankfully, I only have about 7 pieces of furniture.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Third floor? Elevator or stairs?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Next time I move, I'll be using a moving company. God, I hate moving.

Since you're going all out by tipping water and "maybe pizza," I wouldn't call that same company the next time you move. ;D

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In addition to making sure the utilities that you receive a bill for (that aren't included with your current rent) are shut off it sounds like you've got everything covered. However a few other things to keep in mind:

* Make sure all the boxes and furniture are labeled for what room they're going to in the new place.

* Call the phone at the new place now to make sure it rings so you know it's turned on. If you call and it says 'this number is not in service' or someone you don't know picks up - call the phone company and let them know they've given your number to someone else/failed to turn on the line.

7. imjustagirl

I'm not TIPPING them in water and pizza. I'm providing water and maybe pizza. I tip in cash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. imjustagirl

Stairs. Big honking wooden stairs.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Thank you for not asking me to help.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone tipping movers up here in Canuckistan.

Huggy? EF? Double J? Anybody?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've never hired a mover so I don't know. My brother used to work for a moving copmpany, I'll see what he says.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Last move cost $1700.00. No way I tipped those guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted