1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Around

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Eight years in the business, third paper. Moved everytime for career advancement. Enjoyed each stay but would love to go back to the first paper in a better position.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

September will be 17 years in the business - all at the same paper.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I considered it a landmark when I spent an entire calendar year - Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 - at one paper. That was my third newspaper out of school. Right now, it's four papers in eight years.

4. BH33

BH33 Member

I've been at four papers and one online place in the past nine years. The shortest stay was 6 months, but I left for the online place (and a $9K pay raise). Longest stay was 3.5 years. I'm hoping my current paper isn't my last.

I've been happily married for the past 5 years, and now have two kids. Sometimes the hours are tough (and so is the tight money situation), but I've also got a wife who is very supportive of my career and is willing to move wherever if it helps me advance in my career.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Um, 28 years since I got out of college ... five daily papers, four weeklies, one radio station and one PR firm. That's 11 jobs. Maybe I forgot one. Spent nine months out of work at one point, three months at another point, So I have worked 27 of the last 28 years. Longest stay in one spot: Seven years. Shortest stay in one spot: Three months.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First job: Year
    Second job: Year
    Third job: Two years
    Fourth job: 10 months
    Fifth job: Two years
    Sixth job: 10 months
    Seventh job: Two years (same place as fifth job)
    Eighth job: 22 months
    Ninth job (well, place, several jobs there): Eight years
    10th job: Two years
    11th job: (current, approaching my ninth anniversary)

We've talked about it before; if somebody wants you, there's no such thing as moving around too much. When you reach that threshold, then people won't want you for a while.

Always left on good terms, except for job four.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eight years in (this week, actually) and still at my first paper. I'm either a scrub or an anomaly. I've been trying to figure out which ;)

When it's time to move on in a couple years, it'll be because of marriage and kids.

8. bdh02

bdh02 Member

Loving your job more than your life is one of the most unhealthy things anyone can do, in my opinion. That said, while the hours do suck at times, it's still our responsibility to have a life when we're not on the clock. Do that, and I think it'll be OK.

Personally, I love what I do and I hope I do it for a long time. I couldn't imagine doing much of anything else. However, I love my life outside of my job far more. Such an outlook has done nothing but put a smile on my face, regardless of the financial situation, the hours or the like.

9. ogre

ogre Member

Six years out of college, and Im looking for my third job. Spent just about three years at both of the two jobs I've had. Actually still at the second right now, but not for long. ;D

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Six papers in 17 years. Two of those have been for four years.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

28 years in biz. two papers, one market. 18 at first, last 10 at second.

but i know i'm one of the fortunate ones, somehow. no regrets. it's been a great life.

however, if my path had been different -- more jobs, moves, etc. -- who knows how i'd feel or for how long i would've stuck it out? ??? ??? ???

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

13 years. One paper where I interned and stayed on, one major magazine, and about 8 1/2 years at my current paper.
    Staying a voluntary choice for love. Had been dating a year when I left for the first paper, engaged two weeks when I moved far away for the magazine, and current job was back at home. The plus on the personal side outweights any quibbles I might have about my job description. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted