1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving across the country - advice, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Oct 17, 2012.

1. You can't even afford a lot lizard with that relocation money.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was really interesting to see how my last paper financed my move. They told me if I moved myself, they would cover everything. I asked my SE what my cap would be and he said, "Anything under $4K will be fine as long as you have receipts." I came in just under that.

I found out when I arrived that the most they could give me for the move was $2500. They paid me that in a lump sum and then I had to submit mileage separately, which was another $500. Then my boss falsified something that said I stayed in a hotel for a lot longer than I actually had to get the extra $1,000. It made me really uneasy and it should have been a sign of how they did business at that place... I was glad to get reimbursed, but it was a bit of an ordeal.

It's amazing these days that people either get nothing or if they do, it's either secretive or disguised as a signing bonus because they don't want any precedent set.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I worked as a mover for a while. We never had more than one client's stuff on the truck at once. And we were a pretty shady outfit.

4. Big Circus

That's not true, either. We moved boxes that people had packed all the time. In my time as a mover, I think I spent one day packing boxes.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think it's been mentioned already, but no matter what you do, hire loaders and unloaders on each end.

You can find ratings on local loaders/unloaders here: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp.

Seriously, it's the best money we ever spent. They had everything off the truck and in the right room in 90 minutes (my wife color-coded the boxes by room and labeled each one in detail, which made all the difference in the world) and I didn't even break a sweat.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I moved from New Jersey to Guam and from Guam to California.
    You've got to travel light.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So much truth here. Having packed up my life and moved across large bodies of water more times than I care to count, lighter is always better. I never thought I would get to the point of swapping physical books for an e-reader, but the expense and hassle of transporting boxes of books across the Pacific finally convinced me.

Like joe and Amy said earlier, use this opportunity to pare down your possessions. Sentiment can be a real hindrance in this, but odds are in the long run you'll be glad you did -- much less stress during the move and maybe a nice addition to your wallet.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got a $10k moving allowance for my current job. Used 1-800-Pack-Rat, it was full service in that they packed all the breakables and did the loading/unloading into those pod things. Move turned out fine, but the guys were a little shady as far as costs and such. The bill ended up around $12k and I was really nervous that my employer wouldn't pick up the extra, but they did.

Our highlight was our 1960s sleeper sofa that is an absolute beast. There's the pullout couch and end tables on either side, one has a hidden turntable and the other side has a wet bar. And the whole thing is one solid piece; it's gotta weigh 300 pounds or more. I never thought we'd get that out of our old house, much less into another one. We moved to Florida and a house where most of the living space is on the second floor. Well, that thing wasn't getting up a tight staircase, so we hired a crane company to lift it through our second-floor screened porch into the living room. Epic. The crane operator was a true Florida redneck with a "Git R Done" hat, but he twirled the couch on the crane like it was nothing. Even the movers were taking pictures, and I'm sure they've seen it all.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

That's interesting. I'm just going by my experience when I moved -- both times the moving company told me that they wouldn't load any boxes that I packed myself.

10. Big Circus

It does depend on the company, I'm sure. Like I said, I wouldn't say we were the most reputable moving company.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Your couch has a wet bar connected to it? Holy hell! Have any pics of this?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We demand pictures of this couch. It sounds like the coolest thing that has ever existed.

Draft saved Draft deleted