1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movin' on up ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bulldawg84, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bulldawg84

bulldawg84 New Member

Ok, "The Jeffersons" jokes aside, I have a serious question:
    What are the major differences between the responsibilities of an ASE and an SE of a small daily newspaper?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't really answer that, but I'll tell you the responsibility level I gave my now former reporter (the guy who filled in for me when I had cancer surgery).

Technically, when I was away on vacation one month and then having surgery just over a month later, he took over paginating. As far as I was concerned, however, he was running the show. I delegated decision making to him, including assigning our photographer to cover a couple of news stories. The editor of the other paper in our publication group bitched him out for it, but that fire was already put out by the time I returned. Had it not been, I would have ripped the other editor a new asshole gone Mike Gundy on the other editor. I also solicited his feedback on a lot of things.

I mention that to say that if I could have, I would have made the reporter my assistant managing editor.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the SE catches more crap from above than the ASE.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

SE also catches a lot more crap from below as well ... you like meetings? You'll attend a lot of them as an SE.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

At a small(er) shop, the clear advantage to having an ASE is that there is a person clearly in command when the SE isn't around.

Draft saved Draft deleted