1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Drock

Drock Member

I heard the guys in the office quoting this movie called Caddyshack. I think I'll check it out.

Other than that, haven't seen a movie in months.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

'p.s.' -- laura linney is really growing on me. she and topher grace were terrific.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Speaking of Laura Linney and movies I haven't seen yet, was 'Kinsey' any good?

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I recommend Shopgirl.

Other than that, I've watched some really bad movies lately.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Is 'Shopgirl' good? My ex-high school sweetie has a tiny role in that and I've thought about renting it for that reason alone...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw Japanese sci-fi relic Goke: Body Snatcher From Hell on TCM the other night. I shit you not.

I had to DVR that because seeing that it was on TCM, which has almost uniformly interesting movies, I had to know why the hell it was on that channel.

Now I know why. Good, creepy flick. Totally unlike most Japanese shlock from the 60s. It's Lost-ish with a mysterious plane crash, all of the characters (save one) try to fuck each other over at some point, and obviously, it's got the body snatching thing going (Goke was not from hell, but outer space) for it. A lot of weird psychedelic imagery. Special effects suck, but it was made in 1968.

I'm dead serious, this was a good movie, and you should check it out ... can't imagine it's easy to find, though.

I followed that by DVR'ing the remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. No movie scared me more as a kid, particularly the ending (see avatar). It doesn't scare me now, but it is a damn good remake.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Donald Sutherland always scares me.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Charles Grodin hasn't been in a movie in 12 years.

Always have liked that guy's characterizations.

He's 71.... wow.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, it's quite good. Liam Neeson is excellent. They don't gloss over any of the details in Kinsey's life (his struggle with homosexuality, the fact he took sex histories from pedophiles, the swingin' goings-on with his researchers) and they play up his achievements.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

kinsey wasn't bad but it seemed to drag on. that's just me though.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ehh. The only thing I learned from Midnight Express is to not deal in Turkey.

12. Half Nelson = great

Draft saved Draft deleted