1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you're looking forward to

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure a Shakespearean performance by Bean is in the offing. The recent offerings in the neo-splatter genre don't give me much hope for The Hitcher. Then again, a generation might not have even heard of the original, so we'll see, I guess.

2. Don't forget about Ghost Rider, starring Nic Cage - coming out this summer.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are very good reasons lots of comic book movies are made. There are some very well-written comic books with interesting characters. People know the characters and are more willing to see the movie.

Why bitch about that? Spider-Man movies have been very good. Batman movies have been good when they focused on the character.

Others, liked Daredevil and Fantastic Four and such have been crap because they think they can put people in costume and have a lot of explosions and everyone will be happy.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When's the last time you read a comic book? If ever?

Try reading something by Frank Miller. Or Greg Rucka. Neil Gaiman might be a good one to check out, too, though he does more novels than comics.

There is some excellent writing in comic books, but some among us are too busy trying to prove how grown up they are to acknowledge it.

Sin City may have been over-the-top nasty, but it was well-written and creatively produced. There is some tremendous writing (along with some serious crap) in the history of the Spider-Man, X-Men and Batmen comic books, among others.

Yes, these movies have crap like Daredevil and Electra mixed in with the quality movies like Sin City, Batman Begins and the first two Spider-Man movies. But to dismiss all comic book films? You're loss.

5. outofplace

And if you can't tell from my last post, I am very much looking forward to Spider-Man 3. The child of the 80s in me is looking forward to Transformers as well, but I'll be waiting for cable for that one.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Outofplace:

I didn't realize I needed to be a comic book expert here. It's been a while since I picked one up.

I did think Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins were really good movies. The other 50 comic book movies -- not so much.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

outofplace,

Every once in awhile, I decide I'm going to do something completely outside my comfort zone, and read something or see something that's generally regarded as good, but that I would normally have no interest in picking up.

Lately I've been mulling over reading some graphic novels. Never was into comic books, usually lean toward high-brow literature, but I want to expand my horizons. If I was going to delve into something, what would be a good place to start? The Sin City series? The American Splendor stuff? Something else?

8. outofplace

You don't need to be an expert. My point was you were dismissing source material you know nothing about. Comic book movies are like lots of other types of movie -- some very good ones mixed in with a lot of crap.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ftard:

Just because it's been a long time since I read one, that doesn't mean I never read one.

But just keep thinking I know nothing about it -- it makes for an easy argument.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, the shenanigans of Archie and Jughead!

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I didn't get terrible nightmares from horror flicks, I sure as hell would.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Obviously, the argument is too damned easy, since you're failing miserably with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted