1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you're looking forward to

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Forgot two: Talladega Nights and Wedding Crashers.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And the delusions begin.

You have to forgive dogplop. He sees a SE city in the title, and the movie has to be a classic.

You can't expect much better from an SEC fanboy fucktard.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I thought Garden State was well-written.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, how I hope this turns into another Sauronolopack lecture on quality filmmaking.

I haven't had my daily doses of arrogance and ignorance today.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I hadn't argued anyone's selections until you decided to be a fucktard.

But since you ask: I have a difficult time respecting an industry that has become so reliant on comic books. They lend themselves well to action and visuals, but there has to be a better source of material.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

At the moment, nothing really interests me.
    For some reason, I'm not as into movies as I once was.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There were almost 800 movies released last year.

There were six films based on comic books, of which only four were released nationwide.

Six out of 770.

You're right, without comic books the movie industry would never survive.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hmm -- missing the point again. No surprise there.

Obviously I'm not just talking about one year.

Just off the top of my head: Daredevil and a lame sequel.

The Phantom.

Super-Man Returns.

Two good Batman movies, two terrible Batman movies. Then someone decided to start from the beginning.

Two Spider-Man movies, with a third on the way.

I believe Hellboy was from a comic book.

The Incredible Hulk.

Three X-Men movies, with more on the way.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

And in the time those movies have been released, there have been roughly 6,000 other films made.

You said the film industry is too reliant on comic books. I say that's not a problem. There are problems in Hollywood, certainly. But that's not one of them.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

We haven't talked about the sequels, though. When we get films like Analyze That and the Whole Ten Yards, something is wrong.

I'm sure that list is quite a bit longer. I don't feel like reciting it for you.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Let me help you out.

The overwhelming problem in Hollywood today is the tendency of studios to jump on shitty sequels, remakes of old movies or TV shows and films which will automatically draw an audience because of the subject matter. They make people who have original ideas jump through hoops to even get a meeting, require absurd amounts of financing and insurance and promise very little in the way of marketing.

Perfect example: Over the last couple of years, four big studios passed on Million Dollar Baby, Cinderella Man and Brokeback Mountain. Instead of those films, the studios chose to produce stellar achievements in filmmaking like Deuce Bigalow 2, White Chicks, Bewitched and Starsky & Hutch.

That's the problem.

12. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

The Hitcher!? Surely watching Sean Bean act creepy for 90 minutes has to be worth $10.

Draft saved Draft deleted