1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you watched and loved as a child only to re-watch and hate as an adult

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"I say . . . I say, BOY! . . . "

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It seemed like they were really trying to expose all that is wrong with college football, but they weren't nearly good enough to do it well. That said, it was entertaining in its own way. I don't think time has changed it, except perhaps more of us having more knowledge of steroids. The flaws were always there.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As Little Man has gotten older, he's become more and more of a fan of the classic Bugs Bunny (Looney Toons) cartoons and the classic Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Interesting note....
    In the two-disc volume 1 collection of classic Tom & Jerry, they have an opening monologue by Whoopi Goldberg talking about how great the cartoons are, despite all the very racist imagry.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The double nightmare was very scary.

If you saw it again for the first time, you would still jump out of your seat.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There was a scene in The Last Starfighter that did that to me as a kid. Some stupid thing where a guy is disintegrated in a force field or something.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK...I'm a nerd.

Actually, the scene you remember was a good-guy spy having his head melted by a ray...executed by the evil Xur.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think it was because they were created to run before feature films at the theatre, along with news reels and stuff like that. All of it intended for grown-ups in the audience. Just like the "Our Gang" shorts that found their way to TV as "The Little Rascals" right around the same time as the Looney Tunes stuff.

My favourite example was the one where Bugs is sent by King Arthur to retrieve the Singing Sword from the Black Knight (Yosemite Sam) and the Round Table knights had names like "Sir Loin of Beef" and "Sir Osis of Liver." Way over my head as a kid, right in my wheelhouse now. Awesome. :)

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the one! Awesome.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Fortunately, I keep mah feathers numbered in case of such an emergency."

I always love that line.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I believe that movie was called "The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down"

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watched "The Rescuers" the other night and that was another one that wasn't nearly as good as I remembered. I loved that one as a kid, and kind of thought it was a meh. Not Pinocchio bad though.

I'm afraid to watch Secret of Nimh and The Dark Crystal.

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Re: Movies you watched and loved as a child only to re-watch and hate as an adul

Whomever mentioned The Never Ending Story was spot on. My goodness, I loved that movie as a kid. About a year ago, it was playing on HBO one afternoon, and I was pumped... for about two minutes. Then I wondered how in the world I ever watched that pile of dung.

I'll also give a nod to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles flicks. By the time Vanilla Ice was in there, I knew they were a joke. But man, was that first one awesome.

Pinocchio, that movie has some messed up stuff in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted