1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you watched and loved as a child only to re-watch and hate as an adult

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Movies you watched and loved as a child only to re-watch and hate as an adul

For me, it was "Switchblade Sisters."

While it was the cinematic debut for Lenny Bruce's daughter, Kitty, who played Donut, the movie has not withstood the test of time well.

The fact that the first time I saw it with three of my buddies, we had a pint of ether and a case of Little Kings malt liquor at the drive-in may have clouded my judgment a little. At any rate, it was not the artistic tour de force I remember.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a comic book, sort of an "Untold tales of Star Wars" thing, that showed why the Ewoks were able to take out the Empire's best. Turns out they were a bunch of vicious, bloodthirsty bastards who used the stormtrooper helmets to cook brains in. It was great.

And as for Gremlins, all of the plot holes from the first film are what made Gremlins 2 so incredibly awesome. The whole thing was self-satire. The best part was when Phoebe Cates was revisiting her Christmas soliloquy about her father, only replace "Christmas" with "Lincoln's birthday".

3. Scouter

Scouter Member

I'm pretty sure the artists for Dumbo were on acid when they made that movie. I saw a few minutes of that movie a couple weeks ago when I was flipping through channels. Some of that shit was insane.

Also, completely disagree with those of you who say Home Alone. The silly live-action Wile E. Coyote-RoadRunner stuff was what made it great. That's still a must-watch holiday movie for me.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Re: Movies you watched and loved as a child only to re-watch and hate as an adul

My vote: The Tom and Jerry Movie. Might be the worst movie ever made. They freakin had Tom and Jerry talk! And they were friends!

But for the most part, I love everything that has been listed on this thread, with the exception of Howard the Duck and the Power Rangers Movie. Although Howard was so far-fetched and ridiculous, it was fun. Can't go wrong with cinematic classics like Home Alone, Pinocchio, Dumbo, or the original Star Wars trilogy, in my opinion.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Star Wars. :-\

So cool as a 9-year-old ... but as a somewhat-older person now, the dialog is absolutely wretched.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few years ago I got the original trilogy of DVD, thinking it would be really cool to watch them with my son. We watched the first movie. Bored the shit out of him. It's a bunch of people in silly costumes standing around, bitching about "The Federation." I remembered all kinds of exciting action, but that's like the last 10 minutes of the movie.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I felt robbed not long after I paid for my ticket. To this day, "Howard The Duck" remains the only movie I've ever walked out of halfway through.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Pick-Up Artist for me. And I remember thinking that Blind Date was brilliant when I saw it in the theater. I think I told some people that, and was mortified when I saw it on TV years later.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Blind Date ... the Bruce Willis comedy version, or the random movie where the guy was blinded (on a date) and learned to see again by jacking his brain into an Atari 2600?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

David Addison & Dan Fielding.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I figured. Nobody remembers the other version.
    And that's probably best. I thought it was good the first time I saw it, but it probably sucked.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Goonies. The writers working on this one must've been smoking some good shit. Notice the copious amount of junk food references littered throughout. Also One-Eyed Willy? It's a dick joke. And just how does Mr. Walsh know how much those rubies are worth at the end of the film?

Draft saved Draft deleted