1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you like but everybody else hates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 27, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On it's own, Godfather III would have been an OK, but relatively forgettable movie. It's not the worst movie ever made. But you have to look at it in the context of I and II. It'd be like carving Grover Cleveland's face into Mount Rushmore. He's not the worst president who ever lived. But you'd wonder why they decided to add him to an existing body of work that included Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Winner!

Bad acting cubed, but it's like crack, once you start you can't stop.
    [/quote]
    Not the point of the thread, though.

Bad acting has nothing to do with it. What movies do you love that everyone else hates?

Red Dawn is hardly a movie hated by the masses. It's a favorite of the board. Sheesh, my father was watching my copy of it the other night.

3. The 13th Warrior.

It has a really bad reputation, I'm pretty sure I've seen it listed as one of the biggest flops of all time in terms of budget vs. box office, and most people won't even give it the time of day.

But aside from one or two painful scenes and Antonio Banderas' terrible accent - and I'll admit it's really, really terrible - I think it's a terrific movie. It's an exciting and interesting (if probably idiosyncratic, I'm no historian but I'm just assuming here) portrayal of vikings, a lot of the supporting cast turns in pretty great performances (in particular, Buliwyf and the blonde-haired one who befriends Ibn Fadlan), and it has far above-average dialogue for what is essentially a dumb action movie. The last battle is just incredibly bad-assed, too, especially Buliwyf.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Bagger Vance's biggest contribution is that it gave me a new way to insult myself on the golf course when I'm playing bad (which is at least 95 percent of the time)... as in "I'm playing like D-Bagger Vance." It also gave me the goal to one day putt a ball into a woman's cleavage, like the great Walter Hagen.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who hates S&TB!?! It's a classic.

Now S&TB 3 is horrible. If you liked that, or Cannonball Run II, I'd have to seriously question every aspect of your life.

;D

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked the Crichton book 'The Eaters of Flesh' - imaginative premise.
    Movie = not so good

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Deep Blue Sea, even though Mythbusters debunked the grand finale

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Agree completely. It's my favorite un-PC movie.

Took my niece and nephews to this rinky dink Busch Gardens knockoff, and one of the two elephants there is the one from S&TB 2 or Cannonball Run, whichever it was. In my mind, they're sort of the same.

But the original S&TB? Awesome.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Is that the one with Sho-nuff and the El DeBarge soundtrack?

One of my all-time faves. I was probably 11 when I saw it. Maybe the most excited I've ever been coming out of a theater.

10. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Anyone else enjoy Hooper?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really like Hooper. I think most Burt Reynolds movies get an automatic bad rap, but that was probably the best Burt movie in the genre of "Burt playing Burt."

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

I was never into the Cannonballs or the SB&B sequels.
    Of course my life still has serious questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted