1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies you catch on TV and won't leave the room or turn the channel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I haven't seen 3 in years, but I'm in with those who thought it was a big disappointment compared to the first two, but not a horrendous film.

I think it suffered horribly by losing Winona Ryder and replacing her with Sofia Coppola. For the story to work you had to believe that Andy Garcia's character would throw everything away to be with the girl. Winona could have pulled it off. Sofia Coppola couldn't.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I love it how 'conventional wisdom' has evolved to the point that Winona Ryder is some kind of towering master thespian who could have single-handedly saved the movie.

I don't think Sofia Coppola actually did that horrible playing Mary Corleone, who was supposed to be a spoiled pampered isolated stuck-up mama's girl so very likely would indeed act aloof, oblivious and stilted a huge percentage of the time. I doubt Ryder would have sold it much better.

The whole problem of course was when they couldn't (or in any case, didn't) re-sign Robert Duvall for the role of Tom Hagen, making it necessary to write him out of the storyline where pretty much all of the events of GF II had pointed in the direction of a dramatic showdown of loyalty between Hagen and Michael Corleone.

When the Tom-Michael showdown went poof, the Vincent-Mary storyline, which should have been at most a very minor theme in the overall story (if not ditched completely), was suddenly inflated up to one of the major plotlines of the whole movie.

If they bring back Duvall and 75% of the movie is devoted to the Tom-Michael showdown, Mary Corleone is cut to about 15 minutes of screen time and nobody really cares that much whether Sofia Coppola or Winona Ryder plays her.

3. The 13th Warrior.
    Under appreciated Antonio Banderas flick. Used to show it on Sci-Fi every weekend.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's more than that.

It's not just that Robert Duvall is missing. Although that doesn't help. You took major roles played by Marlon Brando, John Cazale, James Caan and Robert De Niro, in addition to Duvall in G I & II. ... and replaced them with Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna and Sofia Copolla playing major roles in G III. It's just not a fair trade.

A great storyline could MAYBE have made up for that, but by the time they got away from the plot lines in the original books and they were writing screenplay material, it was a lost cause with or without a good cast. Unfortunately, it got the relatively weak storylines PLUS the second-rate cast.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Whoops. There's another one for my list.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Your mention of Banderas reminds me that whenever Assassins is on I can't tear myself away.

7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

The Train
    Day of the Jackal
    Double Indemnity
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Great Escape
    In the Heat of the Night
    Birdman of Alcatraz
    Erin Brockovitch
    Rear Window
    Dial 'M' For Murder
    Anatomy of a Murder
    Some Like it Hot
    National Lampoons Vacation
    Bonnie and Clyde

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Road House
    Red Dawn
    There's Something About Mary
    Pretty In Pink
    True Lies (only the first hour)
    Office Space
    Rounders
    Varsity Blues
    For Love of the Game
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Josey Wales
    Animal House
    Dumb and Dumber
    Caddyshack
    A Christmas Story
    Die Hard
    Office Space
    Red Dawn
    Home Alone
    Any Bond movie
    Star Wars
    Rambo: First Blood

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Let me add a vote for Drop Zone, though that movie is never on television. I understand why it isn't... but still... Wesley Snipes, Gary Busey and skydiving.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Scarface. Probably wouldn't pull me in had I not lived down there for 26 years.

That being said, I'll definitely leave the room or turn the channel when one of those 15-commercials-in-a-row binges gets going (yes, I counted once).

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure why there's been such a revisionist backlash against Dances With Wolves over the years. A lot of folks seemed to retroactively decide they didn't like DWW years later after Costner made all those lame self-indulgent post-DWW movies that made him so hateable (Waterworld, the Postman, Robin Hood, etc.).

Personally, I thought Dances With Wolves was a damn good movie when I saw it back then, and my mind wasn't changed in later years. Hands down, the best 1990 movie was definitely Goodfellas, which plainly should've won the BP Oscar. But I do believe I'd place DWW as the second best flick I saw from that year.

GF3, on the other hand, I mostly just remember for what a disappointing movie going experience it was. And I don't believe I've ever re-watched the whole thing since then.

Draft saved Draft deleted