1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Movies try to escape cultural irrelevance'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We still go to the movies several times a year; however, I live just outside of and work in a town of 130,000. A lot of movies I would like to see do not make into our market.

Movies are expensive. It costs $30-$40 for two of us to go to the movies.

We spend quite a bit already at home: DirecTV, multiple TVs, sound systems, Netflix, etc. Those costs are part of our monthly budget at home.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting dynamic at play here. Critics assign greater significance to low-rated TV shows because the "right" people watch them, yet don't do the same thing for movies.

Everyone loves Mad Men or Breaking Bad or Homeland but more people likely saw Cloud Atlas this past weekend then saw Homeland. But Homeland is an Emmy winner and Cloud Atlas is going to go down in history as a pretty big flop.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But the revenue stream for TV and movies is different: one is ad driven and the other is box-office driven.
    The profit margin is also different. The people who make movies spend too much making them, the margins are too small.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We went to at least one movie a week pre-kid. We've seen less than one movie a year in the theater together in the eight years since (I've gone to a handful more by myself). We made up for it for a while with Netflix when we'd get at least six movies a month in the mail. In the last year that's dropped so significantly that even though we still get the in-the mail option we're down to the two a month option. I love movies and love going but not much recently has made me say I have to go see that. I thought our drop even at home -- we get a good deal of movie channels at home but I find myself watching mostly old favorites there -- was mostly because of kids. But the quality and the surplus of entertainment options definitely are a big factor.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jay, all those TV shows you mentioned are enormously profitable, just as The Sopranos was for HBO. There is no point in comparing their ratings or calling them "low-rated" because their reach is so much lower than networks.

Also those three shows are tremendous from a creative standpoint. I haven't seen Cloud Atlas, but based on the reviews, it is not.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cloud Atlas strikes me as one of those movies that will do better in the overseas markets than it will here...

Draft saved Draft deleted