1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Movies try to escape cultural irrelevance'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Movies are no exception to the general rule that nothing has that much cultural relevance anymore. Too many things to watch and, more important for movies, too many different times and methods to watch them. I thought one of the smartest things in the media age was when places started running "reviews" of movies that were just being distributed on DVD.

Does anyone think our parents would have sent us to ET ten times that summer if waiting for the DVD or Netflix were an option?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think that's necessarily the issue in this case. The question was about great movies people saw in a theater this year.

Speaking generally, do we need to see comedies on a big screen?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That made me laugh after I re-read it.

4. imjustagirl

Guessing he was replying to JR.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Me, too. So I'm keeping it up there, uncorrected, and taking my medicine.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My comment was directed at JR's insinuation that it's a damn shame people saw Ted but not The Master and that Ted was targeting the "lowest possible denominator."

All things, including TV shows and sports and documentaries and home videos, are better on the big screen. Action movies, which often target the actual lowest-level viewer, are best served by a big screen, much more than drama. The whole point of Michael Bay's existence is the big screen.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe.

Something to be said for watching comedy with large groups of people.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go see a movie I really cared about, because the potential for asshat behavior is too high and I'd be worried about missing something. Find it much easier to zone in at home and with a break if necessary. Don't really go to movies anymore on my own anyway, but on the rare occasions I do, it is much more likely to be a comedy or action.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

Comedy is also very much of its time, so doesn't age well. Which gets it thrown out of the 'great films' discussions. There a handful of exceptions to this - Chaplin, Keaton, The Marx Brothers, a few others - but on top of being impossibly hard, comedy has a super short shelf-life.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Would it surprise you that JR and I saw "Ted" at a pre-noon matinee and laughed our asses off? :D

11. imjustagirl

That amuses me, based on JR's snooty post above.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I like to think that I bring out his earthy side. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted