1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Movies try to escape cultural irrelevance'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the 1960s, for every "Breathless," there were a hundred "Beach Blanket Bingo"s. You can also go to your local moviehouse now and see a live HD broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera.

Ten of the best movies I've ever seen were made for Polish television in 1989. In contrast, movies have been better than ever the last twenty years.

Sort of phony NYT trend story here, I think.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's like annual story about sagging TV ratings for the World Series: There are more options available these days, and that includes for the movie industry, too. Theaters are just one of those options in a world that is moving ever faster for personal access to anything related to entertainment.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hold up, hold up, hold up.

This was your answer to the thread question, "Are movies better now?"

Have you changed your answer since Sept. 6, 2011?

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Ted" is my kind of movie. That, of course, should come as no surprise to JR and HC.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Dick Whitman is Your FBI File.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are the best movies now better than the best movies then?

No. The "best movies" are the best movies in the age in which they arrive. Some sustain over time, some don't. "Better" is a completely relative term.

Are there more better movies now than at any time in history? Of course. Many of them being made now for television.

Is this the great age of film?

Maybe.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It really seems like the quality of movies that are coming out today compared to even 10 years ago has gone down considerably.

I'm so fucking sick of sequels and remakes... I'm sure Dark Knight Rises and Amazing Spiderman were good movies, but I can't bring myself to be even the slightest bit enthusiastic about them.

I saw Argo the other day and really liked it, but I still don't think I've seen a movie in a long time where I would feel the need to tell someone, "You really need to see that..."

8. Mizzougrad96

What's a great movie that people have seen in the theater this year?

Argo and Savages are the best movies I've seen this year and I don't think either are close to being great.

21 Jump Street, Ted and American Reunion all made me laugh my ass off, but again, hardly great movies.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Moonrise Kingdom? Beasts of the Southern Wild? The Avengers? The Master? End of Watch? Cabin in the Woods? The Kid with a Bike? Magic Mike? Jiro Dreams of Sushi? Chico and Rita? The Secret World of Arrietty? Once Upon a Time in Anatolia? This is Not a Film? The Deep Blue Sea?

10. Mizzougrad96

Of those the only ones I've seen are Avengers (good), Moonrise Kingdom (OK) and Magic Mike (surprisingly good).

I've heard good things about Cabin in the Woods, I think I'll add that to the list of stuff to see...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought that "The Master" was great, though without wide appeal. I thought "Moonrise Kingdom" was close to great.

Last year, these qualify:

"Melancholia"
    "Drive"
    "The Descendants"
    "Take Shelter"

Damned close:

"Midnight in Paris"
    "Hugo"
    "Bridesmaids"

These movies had great scenes and/or unforgettable moments and/or performances:

"Super 8"
    "The Tree of Life"
    "Moneyball"
    "Martha Marcy May Marlene"
    "The Artist"
    "The Skin I Live In"
    "Win Win"

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel this way about grammar.

Heaven forbid you laugh. Film is ART.

Draft saved Draft deleted