1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that left a lasting impression on you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Feb 15, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Star Wars tops my list. That movie made me the science fiction nerd that I am today. Lucas's storytelling can be simplistic and his dialogue can be clunky, but the guy had a gift for world building and the use of practical effects.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Lucas would have strongly benefited from a punch-up guy.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I always liked "Warning Sign" from 1985.
    An ag research facility doubling as a bio-weapons manufacturer has an outbreak and people are trapped inside.
    It was the first movie that ever scared me — not the mutant, zombie-like transformations, but the fact these facilities like this could exist and that there is the possibility of some accident causing huge problems.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I overlooked these movies because the impression they made on me was so long ago (in a galaxy far, far away), but really, Return of the Jedi is the film that made love the movies before I knew what that really meant.

I was 3 when it was released and my dad was big into Star Wars, so my parents took me and my sister to a midweek matinee figuring we'd run around the theater not paying attention while they watched. Seeing Return of the Jedi is literally my earliest memory — the throne room lightsaber battle, in particular. No movie has made a bigger impression upon me than that one.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Night of the Living Dead for the same reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted