1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

GWTW remains the Soap Opera of American Soap Operas, though it loses a good deal of cohesion after they burn Atlanta . . .

Casablanca

Kane

The Hustler

The original Manchurian  Candidate

there are plenty . . .

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Dead on, on all accounts. Sixteen Candles is still funny, despite it being about the 80s, so I don't know if that counts. And for me, Porky's is great all these years later.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Goonie? I guess. It's still mediocre on repeat viewings then?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lawrence of Arabia
    A Clockwork Orange
    Dr. Strangelove
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Searchers

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The Indiana Jones trilogy, especially Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Last Crusade. As long as those two items are at large, any way.

6. GWTW bites a large one in so many ways even before you get to the despicable racial politics. Gable and Leigh are the only two people in it who act well. (Olivia DeHavilland is wasted and Leslie Howard is a dolt. The minor supporting roles are ghastly bad, even George Reeves, who was better as Superman on TV).
    Speaking of Olivia D, The Adventures of Robin Hood, a TCM feature this weekend, holds up as do most of the Errol Flyyn swashbucklers and the Tyrone Power "Mark of Zorro." Also Annie Hall, which I saw last week.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Caddyshack

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Agree on "The Hustler"

I'll add on...
    The Wild Bunch
    The Game
    The Great Escape
    The Magnificent Seven

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

cool hand luke

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

:'( :'( :'(

Why must you say such hurtful things?

11. In this case, because I once was in Atlanta and grabbed a chance to see GWTW on the big screen. (I'd only seen it on TV prior to that.) So I sat in a theater and watched the unfolding horror. If you think it's bad on TV, watch it in cinemascope sometime. Leslie Howard gets to be a REALLY TALL stiff.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, Howard's horrible. I could never buy that Scarlett could love that man.

But deHavilland's great, Gable and Leigh steal it, and not a week goes by where I don't say "But Miss Scarlett, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!" in my best Prissy voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted