1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that failed to live up to their potential

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think it was straight to video, but whenever I rent an Indy movie from Red Box I always have the it's-just-a-dollar attitude and usually I'm right. Some bad movies are in Red Box, but Red Lights surprised me. Now don't spend more that what Red Box charges or better yet if it comes on Netflix, just go ahead and stream it and don't pay extra for it. I also have to say I'm a sucker for bad horror movies which is why I got it in the first place.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"The Great White Hype" had a lot of comedic talent in it, but it was one of the most stunningly unfunny, bad movies I've ever seen. Well, at least the first 45 minutes I watched before I couldn't take it anymore.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It wasn't so bad I had to turn it off.
    Like 'Red Tails.'

4. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

This is random, but I just watched Rounders again last night. I loved it many years ago when I was playing poker more regularly. It's a good, fun movie, but now I'm wondering if it could have been better. It has a GREAT cast, but all the characters are pretty one-dimensional. I would like to have seen someone with some real talent write and direct that film. The story itself is pretty solid. It wasn't a movie with any hype, but I'm just being a revisionist viewer about it now.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Printit mentioned Batman, and I agree.
    The first two in the recent series were good, entertaining movies.
    The last one not only didn't live up to first two, it was bad.
    Good director, all the returning principals = should have been much better.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Wow. I love that movie.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Dune.

The Hobbit.

Either Hulk movie.

Superman Returns.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love the story that's out there that the Coen brothers thought they hired JAMES Brolin, not Josh, for that part.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have still stayed away from 'The Hobbit.' Part of me wants to see it. Part of me is dreading it.
    The Wolverine origin movie was terrible, but I didn't expect it to be good.
    I wanted either Hulk movie to be good, but didn't really expect it.
    'Superman Returns' was kind of boring, but I was in the target audience (8 years old) when the 1978 movie came out and always thought that movie stunk, too.

I have to admit that I liked the 'Dune' movie and the 'Dune' tv movie/miniseries.

10. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

"The Patriot" and "Superman Returns."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear that "potential" should be defined as cast, material (the book it is based on) and filmmakers.

Rent (the movie and the play) always underwhelmed me given the hype. Maybe I just saw both too long after they were made, or the message of "live for the moment" was exactly why half the characters had AIDS. I liked the songs, but I never "got" why people were so enthralled by it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Given in hindsight that "Superman Returns" was conceived/produced as a shameless homage (in fact, an 'indirect sequel') to the Donner/Reeve films, and the Donner/Reeve series had jumped the shark/gone off the rails/hit the bottom of the barrel with "Superman IV" 18 years earlier, where the hell did anyone get the idea the world was clamoring for a return of that particular version?

Although "Superman Returns" was not really the disaster the revisionist historians like to claim now -- its reviews were quite good and its total box office take was about the same as "Batman Begins," which was hailed as an absolute triumph.

And it's also safe to assume that "Returns" was eleventy gazzillion times better than any of the abortive Tim Burton/Kevin Smith/Nic Cage flaming fiascos, which burned up $100 million or so of WBs' money without ever reaching the screen, would have ever been.

Draft saved Draft deleted