1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that failed to live up to their potential

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Not so much anger, but just a knowledge that Oscar tends to do that.

Pacino for Scent of a Woman. Newman for The Color of Money.

Schindler's List was worthy of every accolade (even if there were points in it where Spielberg was clearly trying really hard to grab for that Oscar), but Spielberg should have been recognized before that.

Plus, just wasn't move by The Depahted.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed 'Prometheus,' but I think it could have been even better.
    I will say that it's one of those movies I find myself thinking about from time to time. I've come to like it more upon reflection than I did immediately after seeing.
    I'm glad it didn't tie up every loose end.

I also hope it doesn't turn into a series.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jesus, I can't imagine how that could have been much better.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will repeat here my contention that there is a good little movie inside "The Postman" that's struggling to get out.

I'd like to have seen the cast of "Hudson Hawk" tackle better material. One clever setpiece but the rest is crud.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chicago was not even good, let alone meh.
    Many people say Forrest Gump was meh.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I could see the argument that Forrest Gump is bad, but it was way too grandiose to be "Meh." That's why we still talk about it.

Chicago is a good example of a "meh" Best Picture winner. I don't think it would rank among the 30 best musical movies ever.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call 'Gump' grandiose.
    It garnered a lot of attention at the time, mostly because of the technology involved.
    'Gump' is a good but not great movie. It didn't deserve the award for best picture, but it's good movie.

Like 'Avatar,' it got too much attention for some technical tricks. Unlike 'Avatar,' it's a nice little movie beyond the technical tricks.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree with you on 'Ruby Sparks.' There was a lot of depth and intelligence to the movie.
    And the ending just ruined it.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Avatar. It was a beautiful movie and the 3D was so amazingly done it was just shy of being real life: like watching an elaborate play not a movie. But the story was so blah it almost killed how pretty it was and how much of a leap forward in filming it was. It felt like an expensive Fern Gully or a 21st century Dances With Wolves.

Also great call on Dark Shadows. I wasn't expecting Oscar greatness, just something that was campy and I really like Johnny Depp. But after the first part met my expectations, the second and especially the end killed them. I left the theater very disappointed.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And to change it up, a movie that exceeded expectations: Red Lights with DiNero and Sigourney Weaver. The ending is very predictable but it was totally worth the dollar and some change from Red Box. Solid story, good suspence and solid actors. And even though you'll guess the ending pretty quickly it is still worth it. Not a great movie but a good rainy afternoon nothing else to do movie.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did 'Red Lights' ever make it to the screen?
    We also got it from Red Box. I did not think highly of it at all.
    Also, I didn't see the twist coming.

12. printit

printit Member

Road to Perdition is a terrific movie. I have never heard anyone criticize it. Interesting.

I liked No Country for Old Men (I did not read the book) but I did not understand how Tommy Lee Jones character fit into the movie at all. (I mean, I know he was the sheriff, but why was his story being told)? After finding out that the Brolin character in the movie is, in the book, the same age as Jones' character, and they were in the military together (Vietnam, I think), the whole thing makes a lot more sense. (even the title, which may has well have been changed to No Country for Old Man). Imagine Duvall in the Josh Brolin role and I think it would have been a better movie. Having said that, I thought it was a really good movie.

I am pretty selective about what I watch, so I'm not sure what qualifies as a disappointment. I thought the last Batman movie was underwhelming, so there's that. (edit: of course, that's a sequel, which you told us twice not to count.)

Draft saved Draft deleted