1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies in the pipeline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jul 16, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

God I love IMDB! Great site with lots of stuff, especially about movies in production.

One that's slated for 2008 release is ... wait for it ... Get Smart!

Normally, I'm not a big fan of re-releases, but this one looks like it could be good. Steve Carell as Max Smart, Anne Hathaway (oh yeah!) as Agent 99, Alan Arkin as the Chief, Terrence Stamp and The Rock. Looks like, and Hathaway as 99, based solely on appearance and demeanor, could very well be a near-perfect fit. She likely will end up being able to play the role smarter than they let Barb Feldon, but it's Anne Hathaway. How could you go wrong?

Also slated for 2008 releases:

* Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr. as the alcoholic, sometimes pathetic Tony Stark...good casting)
    * Speed Racer (John Goodman and Susan Sarandon as Mom and Pops Racer?)

Any other movies slated for release in 2008 (or later this year) that have you excited?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anne Hathaway is much hotter than Barbara Feldon...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anne Hathaway is smoking hot and is actually a good actress...

I kind of have a feeling that Carell is going for the paycheck these days. I read something that said Evan Almighty was his first big payday after making next to nothing for 40-Year-Old Virgin, Little Miss Sunshine, Bruce Almighty etc...

More power to him, I hope he makes as much as he can, but it makes me a bit worried about how good Get Smart will be...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess he's my only question mark on the casting, although I wonder if Adam Sandler could have pulled off the role in a deadpan enough of a way to bring it off. Any thoughts on that?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nO, sandler couldn't. He's good at original roles (even if he plays the same character most of the time), but I can't see him in this.
    Besides, that would mean Drew Barrymore as 99 and that ain't happenin at all

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see Sandler doing that at all... You can't do Get Smart without the voice, and there's no way Sandler's able to pull that off... Carell can definitely do it...

What I find most interesting is Get Smart was something that Jim Carrey was attached to for awhile, so it's pretty clear that Carell is the second choice when Carrey drops out..

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just can't see Carell in this, which is disappointing. I loved the show. I even saw the crappy movie in the theaters. (No 99? WTF?!)

I like Stamp as Siegfried from Kaos. The doctor from Love Boat was funny, but it was hard to see him as threatening. Stamp can do both.

I really thought the Rock would be Hymie when I saw his name attached. He was only in six episodes, but I still remember the character all these years later.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wonder if we'll get a "Kneel before Siegfried!" from Terrence.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This would be a great movie to use a Zod reference. I'm so bummed now that I read that Carrey turned it down. I would have loved to see him in that role.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reelzchannel is running a number of new trailers on their news show, Dailies. Channel 238 on DirecTV

Some of them -- including the Get Smart one -- are archived here:

http://www.reelzchannel.com/

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

From the boots pipeline:

No Means No: The Newsy Neighbor Story, coming soon to Lifetime ... television for women.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, there is this small film coming out next year, loosely based on some old comic book. Eric Roberts is in it. It's called The Dark, um, something. I can't quite remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted