1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies featuring pro sports teams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 2, 2010.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Number One" - Big Chuck Heston as a New Orleans Saints QB (extensive work with NFL Films).
    "The Fortune Cookie" - Lemmon/Matthau comedy about a photographer "injured" by a Cleveland Browns player during a game. With Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Archie Moore and, as the TV announcer, hoooolemmetellyaaboutayoung Keith Jackson.
    Don't forget "Diner," Colts fans.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

"Buffalo '66" -- Buffalo Bills

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

Major League 3 -- Twins

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Great pull on the Saints movie with Heston. Haven't see it in years.

Black Sunday...I believe Steelers and Cowboys...clearly was the Super Bowl.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I don't believe the Bills are mentioned directly, just the football team from Buffalo and a kicker named "Scott Wood." Been awhile since I've seen it, though.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

without a doubt. '61' is second. 'the babe ruth story?' one of the worst sports films of all time... omg. just awful.

sorry if this has been mentioned, and granted i only saw it as a kid through impressionable eyes, but 'paper lion' with alan alda as george plimpton was pretty good, i've always thought...

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I haven't seen it since it first came out, and my memory sucks, so I checked IMDb, and it pretty explicitly refers to the Bills and how they lost the Super Bowl. I believe Angelica Huston's character had turned her whole living room into a shrine to the Bills, or something like that. I think you're right about the Scott Wood thing. I also remember reading about Christina Ricci being miffed during shooting because she got groped by dirty old Ben Gazzarra.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Add Major League III to the Minnesota Twins, and only have Major League I and II with the Indians.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Everybody's All-American" has numerous pro football scenes, with Quaid playing for the Broncos and several other teams.

Wasn't the mule kicking movie named "Gus?"

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The Odd Couple - Mets
    Airplane - Lakers (I'm not sure if this counts, but Kareem is wearing his jersey when he gets dragged out of the cockpit)
    Eight Men Out - White Sox, Reds

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Forget Paris" with Billy Crystal playing an NBA ref. Has several NBA scenes, including this great opener with the Spurs and Suns:

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That movie featured the Pittsburgh Pythons/Pisces and a bunch of opponents who were only referred to by the team's city. Of course, most of the players on each team were players from said city's NBA team, but the colors and uniforms were different, so technically they were fictional teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted