1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies featuring pro sports teams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I saw a commercial for the latest Owen Wilson vehicle (I'll bet he has this sort of stoned vibe that everyone thinks is cute! ... again) and I noticed he plays a character who plays for the Washington Nationals.

It got me to thinking ... how many teams have been portrayed in film? Or TV movies?

It seems baseball teams whore themselves out to anyone with a script, but the other leagues are very restrictive on movie licensing.

I'm going to list the one's I know. I'm sure you'll all have more. The team has to be the featured team in the movie, not one that appears in the movie. The Natural has all of the NL teams in it, but none of them really count.

If a team doesn't have a movie, it might be fun to try and create a story for them. Whatever.

The one's I know:

Boston Red Sox -- Lots of movies, some of them made since '04 and too many of them featuring Jimmy Fallon.
    New York Yankees -- Several. The best being The Babe Ruth Story with William Bendix.
    Brooklyn Dodgers -- The Jackie Robinson Story. I watched it on MLB Network this past season. It's so dated in that special kind of post-war way that it's pretty funny. It was like they said, "Let's approach the subject matter in a way that won't threaten white people."
    Washington Nationals -- (I'll bet Owen Wilson has this sort of stoned vibe that everyone thinks is cute! ... again) ... OK, I don't remember what it's fucking called.
    Washington Senators -- Damn Yankees. I know it has Yankees in the title, but it's more about the Senators ... as much as any musical is "about" the team.
    Atlanta Braves -- Slugger's Wife, baby!
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays -- That Disney Dennis Quaid movie. The one where the dude hits a speed limit sign with a pitch? I didn't fucking see it.
    Pittsburgh Pirates -- The original Angels In The Outfield.
    Cleveland Indians -- Major League and its sequels.
    Detroit Tigers -- That Kevin Costner hunk 'o junk. Love Of The Game? Never saw it, never want to. Don't forget One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story.
    Chicago White Sox -- Eight Men Out and The Stratton Story.
    Chicago Cubs -- Rookie Of The Year.
    Milwaukee Brewers -- Gawd. Mr. 3,000. I love the Brewers, but I will never watch that steaming pile of dung.
    Minnesota Twins -- Little Big League.
    St. Louis Cardinals -- The Pride Of St. Louis.
    St. Louis Browns -- A Winner Never Quits. (Made-for-TV about Pete Gray)
    Houston Astros -- The Bad News Bears In Breaking Training. It kind of counts, doesn't it?
    San Diego Padres -- The Kid From Left Field.
    Los Angeles Dodgers -- Does Naked Gun count? Or Better Off Dead? Both use Dodger Stadium as a setting, but I don't think either actually features the Dodgers.
    Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels of Anaheim -- Angels In The Outfield remake. Naked Gun.
    San Francisco Giants -- That Tony Scott piece of shit where they play a baseball game in an Indian subcontinental monsoon. The Fan? Gee thanks Tony, that driving rain made Robert DeNiro that much crazier, you fucking hack. Keep trying to keep up with your brother. (I can't stand Tony Scott ... can you tell?)

Philadelphia Eagles -- Invincible. More Disney tripe.
    Detroit Lions -- Paper Lion.
    Chicago Bears -- Brian's Song.
    Los Angeles Rams -- Heaven Can Wait.
    Arizona Cardinals -- Jerry Maguire.

I know North Dallas Forty is based on the Dallas Cowboys, but it's not the Cowboys in the movie, so I can't count it.

Boston Celtics -- Celtic Pride, duh. Does Amazing Grace & Chuck count?
    New York Knicks -- Eddie. The greatest sports movie of all-time. (Next to Juwanna Mann)

I know there's more, but I can't think of any.

Toronto Maple Leafs -- The Love Guru. Wow. The Leafs are a storied franchise, but this clearly wasn't a good choice. It would have been like the Packers green-lighting Air Bud Unecessary Ruffness.
    Pittsburgh Penguins -- That Stephen Segal movie.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Chicago Blackhawks were also in Sudden Death with the Penguins

Ducks are easy.
  3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It's embarrassing and humbling to admit that you've put way more thought into this than I put into the last five game advances that I've written, combined. Bravo.

The Dennis Quaid Disney thing is "The Rookie", and the only reason I know this is because I actually watched it for the first time about two weeks ago, when I was bored and channel-surfed my ass into it. The Disney Corporation is so fucking consistent when it comes to the movies they make, following their pet formula.

I wanted to suggest the Wayne's World stuff as a Chicago Blackhawks vehicle, but that's a total reach, based on your well-defined criteria.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All I could think of with the Penguins was Sudden Death, but that was Jean-Claude Van Damme, not Segal.

The Steelers were featured in Fighting Back, a made-for-TV movie about Rocky Bleier's comeback.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

"Fletch" played for the Lakers in a dream sequence.
  6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Why do I get the feeling that this is just an elaborate way of expressing hatred toward Owen Wilson? Let it out, Bubbler, let it out ...
  7. bueller

bueller Member

The Seattle Mariners were the competition in Naked Gun for those queen-hating Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels of Anaheim.
  8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Does it have to be major level teams? Cause there's bull Durham
  9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

New York Rangers -- Mystery Alaska
    Dodgers -- Sandlot ended with Benny the Jet stealing home for them.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Bang the Drum Slowly" starring Robert DeNiro and Michael Moriarty. They played for the New York Mammoths, but several scenes were filmed at Shea and old Yankee Stadium.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Fish That Saved Pittsburgh featured Lakers, I think
  12. highlander

highlander Member

Really? Are you sure about that? I'd give it to 61*.
Draft saved Draft deleted