1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies better than the book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 19, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Crazy talk. The first's the best, mostly because it's got a set beginning and end. The other two don't, plus they're so much more effects driven, not to mention that Ian McKellen's performance in the first one as Gandalf the Grey was the best acting performance in the entire series.

2. False. I'll take Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn or Sean Astin as Sam over McKellen (who does well, mind you). Elijah Wood does a pretty fantastic job too.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Indeed, though it was nice seeing Uga on film.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The movie of All The President's Men really is great, the performances are indelible. I guess it's a good example of the problems involved with any screen adaptation of a movie. How much detail can you leave out, and still be true to the book? The movie version of All the President's Men works to me, because it strikes the right balance.

5. sportschick

They all played their roles well, but McKellen was by far the best. Exactly captured Gandalf from the book. You cannot dissuade me from this.

6. I know better than to try to dissuade a woman on anything but you're still wrong.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Plus, it had Sean Bean, the second-best actor in the three films.

I really consider them all one film, but if I had to pick my favorite, it would be the first. More or less one continuous narrative, without jumping back and forth between the split pieces of the Fellowship.

I enjoyed every minute of all three, with the possible exception of the scene where Aragorn sings in "Return of the King." That was right up there with Kathy Bates' nude scene in "About Schmidt" for all-time uncomfortableness ...

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed, sc. Whenever I read the books now, I can only picture Gandalf as McKellen. I guess that's true to some degree with all the characters in LOTR, but McKellen plays him exactly as I imagined before seeing the films.

9. sportschick

Sean Bean = hottest man alive

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it. Fabulous actor, though.

11. oh god, please no naked photos of mr. bean ... 3, 2 1 ...

12. sportschick

He was voted sexiest man alive in Britain a few years back, but I like him for his acting. I swear :D

Draft saved Draft deleted