1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies better than the book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Inspired by a comment made by buckweaver on the Shawshank thread, what are cases where you thought a movie was better than the book that inspired it? I know the rule works the other way, but what are some exceptions?
    For me, Fight Club is the best example. As far as books go, it was good. As for the movie, it was absolutely incredible.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

The Godfather movies -- the first two -- were better than the book. But the book was quite good.

The Right Stuff movie was exceptional, perhaps a tad better than Wolfe's book.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm pretty sure of all the books I've read, none were made into movies.

4. Hustler doesn't count as books, dude.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cool. I inspired a thread. :D

As I mentioned on the other, Michael Crichton's "Jurassic Park" applies for me. It's a pretty good book, too, but the lengthy technical passages hurts it. The movie, of course, was spectacular -- then and now.

6. The Natural.

7. I was fairly young when Jurassic Park came out, but I read the book before seeing the movie. I remember thinking the book was pretty good and actually had more suspense than the movie.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I mentioned this already on the other thread, but I'll play along ...

The books "A Clockwork Orange" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" are both written in a language/point of view that is virtually unreadable. Just getting through the first few pages literally made my head hurt ...

I'm sure I'll think of others as we go along ...

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think the Bourne movies are better than the books. The books were very ponderous, and the politics are fairly outdated now.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Disagree, but on these grounds:

The book was outstanding.
    The movie was outstanding + 1.

The stories ... are not remotely the same.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bridges of Madison County jumps to mind.

12. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

1.) To answer the question.... The Godfather.

2.) I have been lucky to see movies that almost surpass the book, but definitely hold their weight.
    -"No Country for Old Men"
    -"Lonesome Dove"
    -"The Shining"
    - "The General's Daughter"

Draft saved Draft deleted