1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

TigerVols likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Why anyone with half a brain thought this was a viable plan, I have no idea.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly enough though - theaters have been worried about the competition from streaming and home viewing. The theater industry should come up with something to encourage more people to come through the door and buy over-priced concessions.

4. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

The idea itself isn’t bad. There’s just no way to make money off of it as a third party. AMC might have success on theirs.

5. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like I get one more $10 month. Mine renews tomorrow.

Still worth it at $15/month for me. I see 4-5 movies a month. There are enough theaters around that I don't need to see first-run movies

7. TheSportsPredictor

Bye, Moviepass.

Monthly renewal was due today. Gave it one more shot last night. App seemed to be working throughout the day. When I got to the theater, it said there were no more showings for any movies that day. Was showing that for many theaters in the area. That's a failure Thursday and a failure Monday. With it going up to $15 and not working, I'll go back to waiting for the DVD. Got my $$ worth, though.

8. TheSportsPredictor

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's still a good deal at $9.99 a month for three movies. That's assuming it works and there aren't any blackouts or more meltdowns. I'm sure it's going under before the end of the year but I'm going to use as much as I can until it does.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I know where all of the former newspapers execs are now working.

Hermes and bigpern23 like this.
  12. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

That's my thinking as well.

Like TheSportsPredictor, I ran into the issue where the app was showing movies being available all day, and then when I went to the mall that night for a movie, suddenly nothing was available. Hopefully that issue is ironed out. For the immediate future, I have enough flexibility in my schedule to buy my tickets early in the day to sidestep that.

Draft saved Draft deleted