1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

MoviePass on its last legs?

It introduced surge pricing a few weeks ago, where hot movies cost you a few dollars more. Now it seems just about everything falls into that category, even movies that have been out for weeks, like Ant Man and The Wasp. People are posting pictures of empty theaters that are hit with the surge price.

Now their credit card processing stopped working. I tried it last night and couldn't get into my movie, which wasn't Mission Impossible: Fallout. But people are saying it is no coincidence that the problem cropped up on MI's release date. It still isn't working today. The newest twist is that all MI screenings are blacked out on the app. Can't even make it a selection. And pretty much every movie at bigger venues is already listed as a surge price. Wonder how they know that hours in advance.

Looks like MP has run its course. At least I got more than my money's worth. I might give it one more month, but I don't even know if it will be around that long.

2. TheSportsPredictor

This guy says they are out of money:

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

We got hit with surge pricing for The Incredibles 2 last weekend. Movie had already been out for a couple of weeks and there were maybe four other people in the theater on a Sunday afternoon.

Actually, I should say we were supposed to get surge pricing, except our cards didn’t work. We ended up by using MoviePass and paying full price. (Next time I opened the app it demanded to know why I hadn’t submitted a copy of my ticket stub as required.)

We got our money’s worth in the long run, and for the most part the service has worked. But there are enough of these stories out there to 1) frustrate users into cancelling and 2) dissuade new users from signing up.

Tweener likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

Surge pricing is the new regular pricing. Most everything today is already showing as surge pricing on my app. And they won't even let you go to Mission Impossible at all.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It looks like you can see MI at theaters that MoviePass has an e-ticketing relationship with. And there's no surge pricing.

6. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Sounds like AMC is the way to go. I'm honestly surprised MoviePass has lasted this long on the model it has.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Cancelled after one month, mainly because of surge pricing and the fact that the one theater near my home doesn't have a MoviePass e-ticketing relationship.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think they're out of money again. Out of curiosity, I looked and the only movies available for me are the ones at the e-ticketing theaters. Nothing else is showing up anywhere, surge-priced or not.

10. Human_Paraquat

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. Human_Paraquat

Tonight's update: GF and I tried to use MoviePass for a 9:30 showing of "Eighth Grade," which we've been looking forward to for weeks.

Both of us received a "you are no longer logged in" message after pushing "confirm" on our attempting e-ticket reservation. We both logged out, logged back in, and received the same message.

So we just paid for our tickets. Tried to contact customer service to complain, but only got a standard form reply that they were working to correct the problems and "e-ticket is still fully functional." (It's not. Not even close.) Also, they can't offer an refunds.

This thing is dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted