1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

AMC Unveils Answer to MoviePass: $20 Subscription Plan

Struggling MoviePass Launches $164 Million Bond Sale

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the founders of MoviePass set out to start this company, grow it to the point that AMC was forced to buy the company and profit. Didn't they ever consider that AMC would just steal their idea and not pay them a dime for it?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If they can keep it going as long as Elon Musk has kept his Tesla scam going, I'll be happy. Hell, I'm already happy having had it since September.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

More of a parallel than you might realize. When you manipulate the money supply to encourage more and more borrowing, that money gets misallocated in ridiculous ways-- it's survival of the unfittest, and it always ends with a lot of borrowed money getting defaulted on.

Congrats to anyone who has taken advantage of these numbnuts, for as long as they can go until their ability to borrow runs out (or interest rates spike and they drown in their debt). I read that they burned through another $40 million in May.

And just to solidify for everyone that they are the business gang that can't shoot straight. ... as part of their scheme to invest in movies and then promote the hell out of them and then share in the upside. ...they invested a decent chunk of change in that horrible Gotti movie with John Travolta that has gotten some of the worst reviews I have ever seen and is grossing very little.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I guess they hoped they'd be selling a broad customer base, the aggregated data that goes with that base and the IT architecture that saves AMC the time and cost of developing its own app. Had the service blown up quickly and collected a huge consumer base, AMC or another chain might have snapped them up.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I always forget how valuable the data is in these businesses. I still think in old terms.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What I find interesting about MoviePass is that everyone I've told about it thinks it's a great idea and they say they'd love to subscribe, but almost universally they think it's too good to be true. They all think it's some sort of a scam, even though I've told them of the experiences you guys have posted here.

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Very good chance I’ll use mine tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. Partially because I have the weekend off, and partially because the likelihood of the whole thing collapsing seems to grow by the day.

I just moved to a major city, which really boosts the bang for my buck. Living in a smaller town, with three theaters owned by the same chain, the opportunities were sometimes limited once they stopped allowing you to use MoviePass to see the same movie more than once.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The other reason I don't buy MoviePass while living in a rural area is our local theaters have mid-week nights and weekend matinees where you can watch a movie for $4 or $5.

10. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

Just got this:

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted