1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've used my MoviePass three times in the past two weeks and I love it. I would have used it more already but I've been busy with other stuff. I've had no issues using it at both ticket kiosks and at the box office.

2. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

Used mine for the first time today. Kiosk couldn't process it because of a "technical error," but it worked fine at the box office. I saw "LBJ," which I never would have paid full price for, so this was great.

I did spend $5 on concessions. I'm trying to keep that as low as possible so this doesn't wind up costing a whole bunch in the end.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm an AMC Stubs member. According to what I read, you can't use MoviePass and get AMC points, but I tried swiping my AMC card when I used MoviePass and it's been working. I've gotten AMC points for the three movies I've seen. Maybe they'll take the points away, but for now, they're there. Anyone else tried?

5. TheSportsPredictor

Not sure if it was the new annual fee enticing a bunch more users or that everyone wanted to see Justice League, but Moviepass crashed and burned tonight. Loads of people complaining on twitter. My app wouldn't load when I tried it -- good thing I went to my movie in the afternoon!

6. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I don't know about AMC Stubs, but we have a Regal here and when I saw my first movie, the guy asked for my Regal card. I didn't have one so he got me one and I've earned points for both movies I've seen. Pretty sweet.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I really want MoviePass to be a viable business model - I really do - but this paragraph sounds an awful lot like a company aiming at a quick cash infusion to stay afloat.

Realistically, I do think a yearly - rather than a monthly model - makes more sense. I'm more likely to see 12 movies in a year, than I am to see one every single month. January and February are notoriously shitty months for new releases, but November and December churn out Oscar hopefuls. So from that perspective, you don't want the consumer thinking about their moviegoing on a monthly basis, you want them thinking about how many they'll see in a year.

That said, I'm hesitant to put in a year's subscription to a service I'm not entirely sure will last that long.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Cinemark rolling out its own movie pass -- $8.99/month + 20% off concessions. One movie per month. LOL

Movie Club

9. TheSportsPredictor

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd pay an extra $3/month to make it as many movies as you want. $8.99 a month? Why bother? I'll just pay at the box office.

11. TheSportsPredictor

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw this thread, but I never looked at the business model. It's the same upside down business model that is fueling hundreds of ghost companies (and some market darlings) in an incomprehensible way.

MoviePass is burning through cash -- cash it is able to borrow because we are in a manipulated environment. It said yesterday that it has passed 2 million subscribers. And the more people it signs up, the more money it loses (and the more borrowed cash it has to burn though). This is the exact conversation I was having about Netflix on another thread. These schemes work because of a decade-long intervention by central banks that destroyed price discovery in our lending markets. It's cheap to borrow and it is plentiful -- no lending standards that a freely operating market that could accurately price risk without the distortions would impose. So you get companies like this.

We are seeing very early signs that this is changing. The Federal Reserve is trying to gingerly remove some of its support to the debt markets which has suppressed yields. It hasn't done much of anything yet, but the prospect is what is behind the recent sell off in risk assets. You do still have other central banks expanding their balance sheets for the time being to suppress yields, but they would like to finally step back. And the debt markets are starting to take it seriously, and the yield on 10-year bonds across the globe have risen dramatically over the last several weeks.

What that means for MoviePass? Its accountants warned it that its long-term viability is in jeopardy. You can not rely on losing money on every product you sell, and borrowing endlessly to keep the company going. If yields REALLY spike, the cost of servicing the large amount of debt you accumulated gets more expensive and that is when you see cracks. ... and defaults. I didn't realize it, because this is one company I hadn't really looked at, but these financing schemes without regard for generating positive cash flow through self-sustaining businesses are going to characterize a lot of the last decade, and people will look back and shake their heads.

That doesn't mean that I am saying that a company like this can't somehow reinvent itself and make itself viable. But what I am saying is that the business model that is predicating what they are doing would be incomprehensible in debt markets whose price discovery hadn't been destroyed. The company would never have existed. There are a lot of ghost and zombie companies out there (all over the world) like that which are examples of the "survival of the unfittest" environment they have created.

Here is a Bloomberg story for anyone interested: MoviePass Tops 2 Million Subscribers While Cash Burn Accelerates

For those of you who signed up. ... congrats. You spotted real value. They were selling you something at a cost well below its actual value. You were astute enough to take advantage. ... and it's at their expense (and ultimately it will be at the expense of anyone who lent them money at artificially low rates that didn't reflect the actual risk inherent in that business model).

Draft saved Draft deleted