1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You folks go to three movies a week???

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I averaged maybe 1.5 while I had MoviePass.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Shot up today from 1.4 cents to 3.6 cents. Damn. Could have gotten paid out at 250 percent in one day.

4. TheSportsPredictor

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Finally just canceled mine. It had gotten to the point where I would look in the afternoon and see several movies listed throughout the day/night. Then I would check again at night and literally every single theater in my major metro area (except one, the same one) would say "no more screenings."

So the product had basically become unusable. Add in all of the other random screw-ups we experienced and I started to feel like an idiot for continuing to subscribe.

I have to say this is the worst customer service I have ever received with any product, and I was a Comcast customer for well over a decade.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The movie business seems so weird. There are movies that are "worth" $12 and those that nobody is going to see for $12 but may take a shot at for $6. Seriously - the same ticket price for a JLo rom-com or Aquaman? Surprised movies haven't gone to "dynamic pricing" for high volume movies and showtimes. At the same time - surprised movie distributors/studios don't provide discounts to movies in order to find an audience.

8. TheSportsPredictor

I signed up with Sinemia about a month ago. Used it for the first time Saturday. A bit more complicated, but I figured it out.

I pay $8.99/month for three movies. They were selling online gift cards for 30% off. You pay your total yearly cost upfront, so it was $107.88. With 30% off a $100 gift card, I paid $77.88 for my yearly subscription. Now, they charge you a dollar or two for service charges for movies, so it's gonna cost a little more than that. You can buy a physical debit card that I think does away with the service charges but it's $14.99 so you'll probably wind up saving about $20 over the course of a year with that.

One big benefit is you can buy advance tickets with Sinemia, so when my friends want to go to the superhero movie premieres, I can use it for that when we buy our tickets weeks out.

9. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I'm still liking my Sinemia subscription, although Movie Pass was definitely easier to use. I don't have a physical Sinemia card, but I do use this URL to avoid the convenience fee, which helps (I still get stuck with the $1.80 processing fee).

We have a movie theater nearby that was recently bought by another chain, and one of the deals is movies are $5 every Tuesday. I think this is genius. These are first-run, big-name movies that will cost you $11 to $13 the rest of the week.

10. TheSportsPredictor

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Regal Cinemas is trying out a movie subscription plan with monthly charges based on what locations you can got to.

More details

It makes more sense than the Moviepass scam.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted