1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moviepass - Get One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 17, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Subscription based account, $9.95 per mo., one movie a day limit, otherwise, that's it. Wait is over a month for the pass, but I used it twice this weekend without any hiccups. Easy to use. I'll probably tire of going after a while but its great now with the winter movie season coming up.

I think you can even buy your tickets in advance (but you have to physically go get your ticket early.)

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I tried so many times to sign up and it wouldn't go through. Hope it works now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like theater owners would love it, since it prompts more visits and popcorn sales and they don't make much on the tickets anyway.
    The pricing has always been odd as well. I get paying $11 or whatever for a Marvel movie, the same amount for a smaller, quieter film? Probably not.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I waited about 6-7 weeks for my card; skepticism was high, but then it came in the mail.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Theater owners hate it.

As of now it's the VC funding making up the cost of each ticket. The idea is to show those theater owners what you're saying, that their total income will be higher. That industry is definitely ripe for disruption, so maybe.

We looked into it when they unveiled it a few months ago, but there weren't enough theaters anywhere near us to make it worthwhile.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Theater chains say they hate it, but only because they don't want to be associated with such a cynical and arguably stupid business plan. The theater chains love it because it's win-win for them. They get paid the full-price ticket for every show you attend, plus concessions. There's very little downside for them.

However, they don't want to be associated with a business plan predicated on consumers not using the product they are purchasing.

I'd love to sign up for this, but with two young children - only one of whom is really able to sit through a movie in a theater - I would be one of the people wasting my money. In another year or two, when my youngest is ready to go, it may become more worthwhile. But right now nap time and bedtime drastically reduce the chances I have to go to a theater.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just signed up. I go to the movies a lot so I figure it's worth a try.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

At least a couple of chains over here in the UK have their own watch-all-you-want subscription plans. I belong to one and I go to the movies way, way more than I would otherwise.

Once the per-movie cost has been driven down, you find out some things. Films are better in theater if it's halfway decent. You become a lot more open-minded and forgiving about what you watch if it isn't costing half your paycheck. And I become even more of a cheapskate. I sneak in my own food and soda in all the time.

Neutral Corner and Flip Wilson like this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How much is your pass in the UK?

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Twenty pounds or around $26 a month with the exchange rate. No limit on how many per day.

Basically, I see around four a month, which means I'm paying half-price per flick. It also helps that the nearest theater is ten minutes walk away from my apartment.

outofplace likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just signed up again. Think it worked this time. I got a welcome screen and a charge on my card. Didn't get that previously. Will see in 2-3 weeks!

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hope you do; I had to wait about 6-7 but just saw another movie this week!! Good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted