1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie You Hadn't Seen In Forever Which Ages VERY Well

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never been a 'Goonies' fan, but we were recently discussing it during a long drive.
    If there's a 1980s movie crying out for a remake, it's 'Goonies.'
    They remake a near perfect movie like 'The Thing,' which was laready a remake and much better than the original, but they haven't remade 'Goonies'?

2. Miracle on 34th St and The Quiet Man

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Most anything Hitchcock did in the 50s and early 60s holds up awfully well. Personally, I'm partial to Rear Window, which slowly but steadily ratchets up the tension until the climax. Plus, it's a reminder of just how gorgeous Grace Kelly was in her prime.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Agree. Check this out, it's pretty cool: http://devour.com/video/recut-ferris-buellers-day-off-trailer/

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any period movie, done well, will hold up over time. Especially if filmed with actual film.

Special effects seem to date a film more than anything.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's always been great, and it MADE Jeff Bridges, who flat-out stole the picture.

Long may it wave.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bridges was a made man long before Fabulous Baker Boys (Last Picture Show, Starman, Jagged Edge, Against All Odds) what a great score by Dave Grusin. Made me laugh though when I saw Modern Family this week. "A little too much Michelle Pfeiffer" - Mitchell.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. That was a good line.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hear what you're saying, but TFBB advanced him to a hightened level.

He's managed himself brilliantly. He doesn't take ANY chances in public media exposures, now, but remains a fave.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The original "Halloween". If you haven't seen that or it's been years, watch it again. Preferably in the dark. I've seen that movie dozens of times and I still get chills.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good call. My son and I watch it every now and then, and I'm convinced it's one of the coolest movies ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted