1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie You Hadn't Seen In Forever Which Ages VERY Well

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 11, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If we go a bit more recent, I will add The Princess Bride. Will be a great movie in any time.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I just saw that movie for the first time like two years ago.

The main character reminded me of about 15 guys I went to HS with.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have seen this several times, and each time I watch it, I become more and more convinced that the last 30 minutes of Se7en are the most cliff-hanging, edge of your seat ending sequences in a movie.

Fucking Freeman absolutely nails that part.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

WHAT'S IN THE FUCKING BOX!!?!?!?!?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've probably mentioned this before, but I absolutely love the first two-thirds of this movie.

Then they chickened out and told us he had a bad history of anger issues, and really, he wasn't an average Joe pushed over the edge after all. Lame.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't like Falling Down at all. A lot of horseshit white man angst, much of it about crap that wasn't really worth getting pissed about.

I think its theme ages very well, but the things Douglas bitches about in the movie don't.

The movie plays like some right-wing fantasy, but that wasn't its intent at the time. I wonder whether hard-core right wingers would identify more today with Michael Douglas or the white supremacist played by Frederic Forrest that he killed in the movie?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Blazing Saddles.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Camptown Races Sing This Song . . . Doo-Dah . . . Doo-Dah . . .

I know more than one person who loves it as much as I do, but can't watch it at work because all he can do is crack up.

It likely remains one of the three great American comedies, with a more original broad idea than The Producers (the latter being broadly-based on one of the oldest legit-theatre jokes of them all . . . oversell shares in a stiff, and rake it in -- whoops).

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

YOU FORGOT THE BRIEFCASE!!!!!!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Have mentioned this movie after seeing it receltly, but "The Fabulous Baker Boys" is still fabulous, 22 years after its release. The male-female dynamic between both brothers and Michelle Pheiffer, and the sibling rivalry, are timeless story lines.

I suspect "Ordinary People" would also hold up well because people face the same mental health issues today.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure about Ordinary People, but I am so out of the mainstream on this, because everyone in NYC is seeing four therapists. My thinking is that there was more "stigma" attached to seeing a shrink in 1980 than there is today.

Draft saved Draft deleted