1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie You Hadn't Seen In Forever Which Ages VERY Well

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 11, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Falling Down.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Any film from the 40s, 50s and 60s will seem dated just because of the lingo and the way they look. But Marty from the mid-1950s is a really simple story that holds up well, even if it seems out of date in some of the ways it handles men, women and their roles and marriage. We watched it recently. It's the kind of film that would never get made today. It's too bad.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark for the first time in years the other day on TV. Still holds up as one of the great adventure flicks ever.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Filming began on The Wizard of Oz this date in 1938.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good choice, and still reflective of today's times.

For me, I'd say The Goonies would still hold up today for kids, although they wouldn't know what Pole Position is.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Seven Days in May. I loved the book, though, even more.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids."

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The mentions of Raiders and Goonies are spot and got me thinking about how well Spielberg movies (whether as director or producer) all tend to hold up very well.

Jaws is still fantastic (perhaps outside of the mayor's outfit in front of the big billboard). ET, Close Encounters and Back to the Future (directed by Zemeckis) still resonate. Despite the technological advances of the past 20 years, Jurassic Park holds up amazingly well. The special effects are still convincing in most of the scenes.

I think it's really impressive how well Jurassic Park and Back to the Future don't feel dated.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seven is another one that ages well.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not saying that they should remake it, but could you imagine what other shit that could set him off in today's world? Movie could go on for days.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Totally agree about Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. My teens had a Jurassic Park marathon this summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted