1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie You Hadn't Seen In Forever Which Ages VERY Well

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Oct 11, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's a good film, but of course the 1980s anti-nuke context seems very dated now.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Slap Shot. :D

3. There was a book on that movie that recently came out in paperback if I recall correctly.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

You don't say! Hmmmmm...... ;)

In truth, the movie really has aged well. Okay, maybe not the fashions, but....

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Original "The Manchurian Candidate."

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

OK, my bad. The plot is out-dated. But love it. Biased, but I think it's a very under-rated flick, historically speaking.

7. That is one of my all-time favorite movies and easily my favorite Bogart movie. Love it.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"High Noon" is timeless. One of my favorites.
    The original, black-and-white "Fail Safe" has an outdated plot, but you can't beat it for tension.
    And I'll throw "The Naked Gun" onto the list. It's more than 20 years old, I've seen it 200 times and every scene still makes me laugh out loud.

9. The Thin Man - William Powell is timeless. He invented snark.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I can't say I haven't seen it in a long while, since I try to watch it every so often, but The Day of the Jackal is both a) definitely of its time (technologywise), and b) gripping and great, if you can put out of your mind the strange mix of accents.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Day Of The Jackal is very, very good.

The Battle Of Algiers holds up extremely well.

So does Alfred Hitchcock's 39 Steps from the mid 30s. For that matter, Nosferatu holds up as very frightening from the early 20s.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Blazing Saddles.

Draft saved Draft deleted