1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie verson better than book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, May 14, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Fast Times was a book, but I can't rememeber ever seeing a copy of it.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Jaws 2" was pretty bad, but it was still better than the book.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A better discussion would be cases where the movie manages to live up to a great book. A Clockwork Orange and Fight Club spring to mind.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Election.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, NCFOM the book and movie are virtually identical with a few exceptions. A lot of the dialogue was taken straight out of the book.

Lord of the Rings is one I mentioned on the other thread. I love the books, but they're incredible tedious, particularly the first half of Fellowship of the Ring and the middle third of the Two Towers.

The Natural is one where the movie is better. Roy Hobbs is a misanthrope in the book (he also strikes out in the end).

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

High Fidelity.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Stephen King's shorter works translate extraordinarily well to the screen, especially compared to the way his longer works fail miserably on the big screen.

Shawshank Redemption
    Stand By Me
    The Shining
    The Green Mile (not really that short in total, I suppose, but it was originally like six short novellas)

8. joe

joe Active Member

I read — more like slogged through — The Bourne Identity. Good lord, it could have been cut by about 200 pages. The movies with Matt Damon far exceed the works from which they came. The Renner version, not so much.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

The Lost World book was great. The Lost World movie was awful

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I got about 10 pages into A Clockwork Orange when I was in college. I couldn't understand WHAT the fuck was going on.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Natural tacked on the Hollywood ending. In that case, it makes for a better story. The whole thing is too much of a downer in the book.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great book, one of my favorite movies ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted