1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie sidekicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ellis Redding, Mar 20, 2007.

?

Might as well get it over with

1. Robin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chest Rockwell

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Short Round

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Silent Bob

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Chewbacca

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok...somebody explain to me where those flight capabilities where when they could have used them in the original trilogy. Might have made him useful in a fight.

Otherwise, give me a Wookie who can kick some ass.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

According to the Guide to Characters I own (I cannot believe I'm admitting to owning that), the flight capabilities were removed by someone who owned the droids after Padme died. Given that they were given to Bail Organa immediately after Padme's death, I think the continuity has gotten off though.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I was minus-4 when Star Wars came out.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Actually . . . . two things:

1. At what point in the original trilogy was the droid in a situation when those rockets would have come in handy? Maybe Dagobah?

2. www.starwars.com, at the time Episode II came out, had an online "newspaper" that was meant to be the media in the Star Wars world. There were articles such as someone complaining their yellow speeder was taken (by anakin for the chase at the beginning of the film, of course). And one issue had an item in which owners of astromech droids (such as R2-D2) were complaining that the little retro-rockets on those droids gave out after about 20 years, with the insurance having lapsed.

20 years between the prequels and the old films = simple, yet clever masterstroke to curb these questions by the folks at Mucasfilm.

Wish I had a link to that. But I kid you not.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

See, I knew they'd changed the backstory after the prequels came out. Bastards!

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The quintessential sidekick was the one in Rustler\'s Rhapsody. Anyone remember that gem??

I don\'t have a sidekick. It\'s in my theme song: I ride alone.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That just makes the SportsJournalists.com geek nation love you all the more, SC.

And it figures there would be an explanation. Just something that struck me about the 20th time I flipped by and saw Revenge of the Sith on HBO this month.

Draft saved Draft deleted