1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. The Champ (when a young Ricky Schroeder runs around the room, begging anyone to wake his dad, who had just died on the table after a boxing match).
    Simon Birch (anyone who's seen it knows the scene I'm talking about).
    The Rookie (when Quaid gets on the phone with his son and gets choked up as he tells him he is headed to the majors).
    Rudy (the final 10 minutes, especially when Favreau comes back and is so proud to see his friend do well on the field).
    Six Feet Under (the last 5 minutes of the series finale ... best ever).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, fuck. I was just limiting it to films. Yeah, that one got me, too.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Being a father now has turned this dialogue from emotion-evoking prose ... to devastatingly frightening string of words.

---------------
    Nurse: She's gone.
    Aurora: Oh, God, I'm so stupid. So stupid... Somehow I thought... Somehow I thought when she finally went, that it would be a relief. Oh, my sweet, little darling!

-------------

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Here's the clip, On the Edge was talking about:

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Armageddon. I swear. Bruce...why!!!!!????

6. Simon_Cowbell

The scene in Rudy when Roland lays his jersey on Devine's desk.

7. Just for the sake of it...

Burt Lancaster in his final big-screen role:

"Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?"

8. Simon_Cowbell

Hey Doc! You were good.

Lancaster looks back, sucking in that one final breath of celluloid centerpiece, and then smiles and disappears.

9. Yup, Cowbell, Lancaster was brilliant...

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Final scenes of Shawshank, when Red's narrative is playing over a soaring camera shot across the ocean and along the beach.

"I hope to see my friend."

"I hope."

And then seeing him walk barefoot along the beach and Andy smiling.
    Shit, I'm crying now.

11. I read this whole thread waiting to mention this movie and you beat me to it. Absolutely the saddest, tear-jerkiest movie ever. There's got to be five or six scenes that get to me: "You want to kill my dog? You want to kill my dog."

I haven't watched it in years just for that reason. Now that I have a daughter, I'm even more apt to avoid it.

Basically anything involving kids can get to me. When a Man Loves a Woman was just an OK movie, but when he tells the kids he's leaving, it just breaks my heart. Same with the Door in the Floor and the little blond girl who's ignored by her parents after her older brothers' deaths.

The saddest thing I ever saw on TV actually occurred on my honeymoon as we were lying around in the hotel room, recharging our batteries. It was Maury Povich or one of those shows where they bring out the drill instructors to scare at-risk kids.

One of the dudes was going off on a little boy who couldn't be older than 9. He's just yelling at the kid, trying to intimidate him but it backfired, "You think you can give your mom a hard time!? You need some discipline! How would you like it if I was your dad!? You want me as a father!?"

The little boy nods his head yes. "Oh, you want me to be your dad, huh!?" Little boy says, "Yes. I don't have a daddy."

Even the drill instructor broke down. Made me cry so hard I had to go into the bathroom so I didn't look like a total douche in front of my new wife.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That just made me get a lump in my throat just reading about it.

I'm a wuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted