1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The first time I sat with my then 3-year-old son to watch The Iron Giant, I was riveted -- and then I was writhing trying not to bawl uncontrollably when (spoiler alert!) the giant decides to sacrifice himself to collide with a nuclear bomb to save the day, and the little boy who befriended him whispers "I love you."

Great movie. Directed by Brad Bird, who did The Incredibles and Ratatouille, and used to do the Simpsons.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Surprised I haven't seen it posted yet, but "My Life," the Michael Keaton movie from '93. So-so movie, but the scene where Keaton's home in hospice care and his dad's shaving his face for him ... I'd done really well holding up through a lot of sad scenes in that, but had no chance.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Elliott! You forgot your guitar!"

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I forgot "Silence of the Lambs" but that was cause I was fcuking freaking out.

5. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Remember the Titans. Watched it this past weekend, and just couldn't keep it together.

Also the end in Elf, don't know what it is but I just can't keep the old allergies from acting up.

The scene in Cinderella Man when he has to ask all the promoters for money to get his kids back ... wow.

And finally one from my youth ... Homeward Bound, when Shadow falls in the well and Chance refuses to go on without him. Damn, my eyes are welling up just typing it.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good call on Homeward Bound. That and Old Yeller were both jerkers.

And WTF was with Fox and the Hound? Taught you that you couldn't be friends with someone different that you. That movie was a downer.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Probably only one in America -- OK, only one on this board -- who will offer this movie:

"Twins." Yeah, Arnold and DeVito.

I was given up for adoption, so when they meet their mother after so many years... It was embarrassing to be tearing up in a theater full of people watching a dumb comedy.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't you dare question JR. He's Canadian, he knows everything. Just ask him.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Apparently, there's a dress code in the major leagues. Great scene.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Never cared for the Cleveland Indians and absolutely loathe baseball, but the celebration at the end of Major League draws out the tears for me. Maybe it's the Randy Newman music. I dunno

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No dry eyes in the house after that line. :)

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Tuesdays With....aw fuck it.

Draft saved Draft deleted