1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie Remakes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 16, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Unless you count reboots, I'm having a hard time coming up with any remakes that were better than the original.

If you do count reboots, I think Amazing Spider-Man and Batman Begins were both better than what came before.

If you include television, the Battlestar Galactica remake stands out. It was so much better than the original, it is almost unfair to compare the two.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We just had an Alien(s) movie this year. Prometheus.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

3:10 to Yuma was at least equal to and probably better than the original.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not all of them.

Just saw the Coen Brothers' version of "True Grit." More to the point of Portis' novel, less of a John Wayne vehicle, a little more grit - no pun intended - without being overly grisly.

Better? They both have their good points. Obviously, Wayne was glad to earn an award for his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn, but Mattie Ross' character may have been one-upped in the Coen Brothers' version. Not easy considering the chops Kim Darby portrayed in the original.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard a comedian once state that the movies they should remake are the ones that stunk that should have been great, not the ones that did well. I tend to agree.
    But really it is the way Hollywood works now. I'm sure at least half of the top 30 movies this year had a premiere date (maybe even marketing agreements) before they had a director and a script.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are good ones, and many of those have been mentioned (True Grit, I am Legend etc...)

1. Avengers - Almost 10 movies have been made featuring the characters in this movie.
    2. Hunger Games - Original idea
    3. Dark Knight Rises - Third in a series, eighth Batman movie since the late 1980s.
    4. Amazing Spiderman - Reboot. Fourth Spiderman in the last decade or so.
    5. Brave - Original idea
    6. The Lorax - You could argue that this is a remake.
    7. Madagascar 3 - Sequel.
    8. Ted - Original idea.
    9. MIB 3 - Sequel
    10. Snow White and the Huntsman - Not really a reboot, but more a retelling...
    11. Ice Age: Continental Drift - Fourth in a series
    12. 21 Jump Street - Remake of a TV Show
    13. Safe House - Original idea
    14. Prometheus - Prequel
    15. The Vow - Original Idea
    16. Magic Mike - Original Idea
    17. Journey 2 - Sequel
    18. Think Like a Man - Original idea
    19. Wrath of the Titans - Sequel of a remake
    20. Dark Shadowns - I think this is a remake, not sure...

So seven of the top 20 from the box office this year are original ideas. That's sad.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's summer. The Oscar movies come out in December. Granted, they also rarely crack the top of the year's box office sales. Steven Spielberg's take on Abraham Lincoln will.

Also, the 3:10 to Yuma remake was amazing, the best remake of the past decade.

9. I think I would pay for a Lincoln movie with Steven Segal in the title role.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Abraham Lincoln: Hamburger Hunter?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To cross-thread, we've ruled out that Blazing Saddles cannot be remade in this era of PC.
    But how about re-makes of Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety, or better yet -- Silent Movie?

12. I would like to see a re-make of Miami Vice starring Jose Canseco and Daryl Strawberry as Sonny and Tubbs. Just have them read the script from the 2 hour series premier. Play it as serious as possible and it would be the biggest comedy of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted