1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie Remakes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 16, 2012.

1. This article about 6 proposed movie remakes got me thinking.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-movies-that-actually-deserve-remake/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29

What movies should be remade? Or re-booted if you like? The book Man on Fire was tremendous but the original movie with Scott Glenn was awful. The remake with Denzel Washington was much better. The question of what movies should be remade is going to bug me most of the day. Off the top of my head I think maybe Lost Horizon deserves a modern remake but I know that's not the best example.

What movies do you think should be remade?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

None.

Hollywood needs to get original ideas.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think The Hunger Games and Brave are the only two movies in the top 10 or so this year that aren't reboots, remakes, retellings, sequels, prequels or something involving several characters from previous movies.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The only good remakes are ones where I have not seen the original. Never saw Omega Man with Heston; enjoyed I am Legend with Will Smith (although read and loved the book before seeing the movie.)

I am not a fan of remakes.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think last year you had to get down to 13th and "The Help" before you had one.

Remember a few months back we had a thread about how the big award winners used to also be the top box office movies of the year. No longer.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I heard they're doing a reboot of 'The Avengers' for 2015.

7. I was actually originally excited when they announced that Avengers movie a couple of years ago but it turned into a bust.

Speaking of busts - who should play Emma Peel? John Steed?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

... all suck.

9. turski7

turski7 Member

I honestly don't know how there is an Academy Award for original screenplay. Seems like every flick I see is adapted from a book, short story, etc. Hurt Locker was a surprisingly masterful exception, but it's like these "writers" can't write or come up with their own idea.
    As for the question, isn't about time for another Alien(s) or Terminator movie?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why was 'Adaptation' nominated for best adapted screenplay when it had nothing to do with the book upon which it was based, yet 'Gangs of New York' was nominated for best original screenplay when it had nothing to do with the book upon which it was based?

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. My hate for Hollywood remakes borders on the irrational. Cannot stand that they can't come up with some good original movies without reworking every damn movie ever made.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

John Carpenter's version of 'The Thing' was better than the original.
    That's the only improvement that comes to mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted