1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Pinchnickel, Sep 3, 2007.

1. A friend of mine is doing some research.

She is looking for movies where a person has worked hard to find success in his/her profession, only to realize that it wasn't what they thought it would be.

An example might be something like in Doc Hollywood, when M.J. Fox's character finally reaches L.A. only to go back to whatever backwoods town where he had been stranded.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The filmmaker in Rent.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My life story?
    Just kidding.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The movie Hitch might work?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Would Charlie Sheen's character in Wall Street, aspiring to be Gordon Gecco fit the bill?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I was also thinking Wall Street.
    Another that might fit is Michael Keaton's character in The Paper...He's a NYC tabloid editor and has a chance to work for a NY Times-type paper, but decides he wants to stay with the tab instead of go for the prestige of the paper that "covers the world."

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I guess I try to mention Midnight Run whenever I can....

But that scene where DeNiro says to to Joey Pants "Say Hello to the Duke... Say goodbye to The Duke," willingly sacrificing his biggest score as a bounty hunter.... Love it.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Regarding Henry is kind of a bent version of what you are talking about. Harrison Ford's character was a high-powered attorney and a lousy human being. Then he is shot and the resulting head trauma reduces him to the mental level of a child. As he slowly regains some ability to function and begins to find out about who he was before the shooting, he realizes he wants no part of his old life.

9. Stranger than Fiction?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pulp Fiction...

I'm guessing the black kid who rides in the back of Travolta and Samuel L's car worked really hard to get where he was, working for Mr. Marcellus Wallace and he might have re-thought his career path if he knew Travolta was accidentally going to spray his brains all over the back of the car, making a mess so bad that the Wolf would have to supervise cleanup...

Also in Reservoir Dogs when the cop is getting his ear cut off... I'm guessing that at that point he was wishing that he had picked a safer profession, like possibly a dog walker...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pretty woman

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

trading places

Draft saved Draft deleted