1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie Environments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

What are some of the movie environments you really enjoy? By this I mean what type of scenery or locations do you like to see?

I really enjoy movies that have jungle environments. Especially ancient jungle city ruins like Indiana Jones type stuff. I didn't really like the movie Congo that much but I loved the setting. It was very well done. Anaconda was far fetched but I liked it because of the rain forest setting. Jumanji with Robin Williams as well. Loved the fantasy jungle concept. Jurassic Park isn't really the "ancient jungle ruins" environment but I liked how the jungle played a huge part in the scenery. Lord of the Rings of course had a ton of forest scenes.

I also like movies that take place in the snow. The first Narnia movie a few years ago wasn't really that good but I was happy because it did a good job of creating the 400 year iced over snow land feel. I also loved "The Day After Tomorrow" because of the ice age effect. There's just something about being trapped in the middle of endless miles of snow that makes things interesting.

Then lastly I like underwater or ocean locations. I'm not talking about beaches. I'm talking about either out there in the middle of the ocean (Perfect Storm, The Guardian, Jaws, Titanic, etc). Pirates of the Caribbean hit on this enough that it also falls into this category, even with all the crazy CG effects.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is nothing like movie rain. And agree on movies set in the snow - in both cases I think the audio plays a big part. The wind, footsteps etc.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I did notice that movies lately delay the thunder after the lightning. Like, you know, real life.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A town in the old West. Mud streets, tumbleweeds blowing through, acres of open prairie.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Much like the what movie world would I want to be in, I'd say space environments where it's more than a token stars shot and no definition planet. Interstellar was great for that.

After that, maybe a wooded place or a foreign setting where the city is just a backdrop not the catalyst for the action. So the Bourne movies Germany, France, Russia and India were backdrops and it was fun seeing the spots they went to. Meanwhile Man On Fire, Mexico was the catalyst because Mexico has to be kidnappy.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Space, the ocean. Foreign cities that I've visited.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Environments with historical dramas. I like seeing in color how the world looked like prior to when I was born.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Peter Jackson's WWI documentary that came out two years ago was fantastic with this. Even the dubbed sound was fitting.

X-Hack and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cannibal Holocaust was filmed in a jungle environment but I would not call it "enjoyable"

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The London of Sherlock.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Odd bubbles where time turns on itself and discreet corners where things fold out into something extraordinary if you look hard enough.

Sherlock's London reminds me of the London that was an actual character unto itself in Hellblazer.

Hogwarts is another example of magic in plain sight. It reminds me of places and times when personal development and exploration are all that matter. If you think about it, everyone has had their own Hogwarts or at least the chance to visit such a place.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted