1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie: "Big Fan"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just got his latest comedy CD "My Weakness is Strong"

Fucking hilarious.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I remember David Cross having some epic rants while doing AD, but they were directed at Fox and its lack of promotion of the show.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Entertainment Weekly gave it an A-. Also, this movie was written by the same guy who wrote, "The Wrestler."

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe the writer of "The Wrestler" also directs (in his directorial debut).

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

this is the only place i've seen the movie compared "a fan's notes," a great book, i've still yet to finish.

http://www.reverseshot.com/article/big_fan

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Astonishing -- since the parallel is so f'n obvious.

7. Mizzougrad96

He trashed the show more than a few times. When he was promoting one of his God-awful movies, he made reference to Arrested Development as "That show I'm still under contract to do."

He's a funny guy, but he's always struck me as a douche. I saw him in concert a few years back (Oswalt actually opened for him) and he was tremendous.

Oswalt is better though, more likable too...

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't read that if you haven't seen the movies. Contains a few spoilers toward the end.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Cross is one of those hipster doofuses that's quick to dismiss anything mainstream and/or corporate. As far as I know he enjoyed being part of AD. His comments were likely either dipped in sarcasm or said so that his fan base wouldn't see him as a sell-out.

10. Speaking of Cross, Comedy Central was showing "Run, Ronnie, Run" last night. It was made in 2002, but I never heard of it.
    It wasn't that funny, but it had a ton of people in it. Jeff Goldblum, Jack Black, Patten Oswalt and about a dozen of other comedians you would recognize.

11. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

David Cross comes across as downright insufferable, but he gets a pass in my book because of his work on "Mr. Show."

12. Mizzougrad96

Most of the people who hate him qualify everything by saying, "I thought he was great on Mr. Show, but..."

He's also dating Amber Tamblyn, which is another reason to hate him.

Draft saved Draft deleted