1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie: "Big Fan"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 22, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This movie looks good, "Big Fan." It's about a schlubby, middle-aged, NY Giants-obsessed fan who gets beat up by his hero and the team's big star after following him to a strip joint. Then he has to decide to press charges and sue him while enduring other fans' wrath, or just let him go.

Patton Oswalt, from King of Queens, plays the main character. I'm looking forward to it. Check out the trailer.

http://www.bigfanmovie.com/

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What is it with Patton Oswald and sitting in tiny booths and charging people for subway fares or parking?

Looks like a cool flick.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

It played at the AFI Dallas festival a few months ago. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Some people have said it's funnier than "The Hangover" which is high paise in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I saw nothing in that trailer that leads me to believe it would be funnier than "The Hangover."

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Perhaps a few of my friends have led me astray.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You want to piss Patton Oswalt off, refer to him as Patton Oswalt from King of Queens... ;D

It's close between this and Tyson for best picture so far this year...

Amazing film...

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

His stand up bit is great. He's also in Reno 911 the movie, something I'm sure he'd rather forget about.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read an interview with him where he was asked why he stayed on King of Queens...

I'll paraphrase his answer...

"I stay on the show mostly for Kevin... That, and they pay me $30K a week for 10 hours of work."

I remember David Cross saying something similar about Arrested Development. I think the difference is, Cross hated being on AD. I don't think Oswalt hated being on King of Queens, he just hated that it was the only place where people had seen him.

Oswalt is one of the best stand-ups working. I saw him live a couple years ago and he was tremendous.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know it's still in limited release, but anyone seen it yet? (aside from Mizzou, I guess)

Thoughts?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Playing in a handful of theatres in NYC, looks really good.

That's all I got. :D

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I saw a mixed review of it today, but can't remember where -- Washington Post or NY Times.

I read an interview, and Oswalt says he knows absolutely nothing about football. Nothing.

And I read another interview recently and David Cross was happily talking about Arrested Development and how he liked working on it.

I've read other interviews recently, but these are the only two I'm sharing right now.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Another difference between him and David Cross.

Draft saved Draft deleted