1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movement in Springfield, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Springfield itself seems kind of bland to me, which isn't altogether a bad thing.

I found it interesting to read that it was a pretty big center for folk/bluegrass/country music in the 1950s, before it all migrated south to Branson.

2. tang451

tang451 New Member

(This is Allen Vaughan)
    Out of the business? That carries a rough connotation.
    Out of journalism? Hardly.
    Simon, thanks for the kind words. I decided it's time to try other avenues of journalism, different from the daily newspaper Media Group. I'll keep you all posted, but it's time to put those APSE national award winning skills to work in an alternate way. Anyone looking for a motivated journalist willing to buck the modern business model to do special, innovative things on his own, can PM me with huge money offers...
    And if you need a freelancer in the Ozarks (or anywhere else, for that matter), hit me up at allenwvaughan@gmail.com.

3. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

I hear they're not filling the posts right now. Not surprising.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

So which is it? Does Allen know if they're going to replace him? An earlier post said they would be filling quickly, but checkswinger says not at all. Who's got the real inside line?

5. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

This is clearly a big loss for Springfield.
    From what I've gathered talking to some people down there, Allen did a lot more than just cover HS sports, blog.
    Basically it sounds like he was also the one who somehow ended up being in charge of photo requests for the whole department and also doing all the contacting with freelancers.
    Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
    Thankfully Tang has his budding rap career to fall back on.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Baker is a good guy too, young but talented.

7. bake1234

bake1234 Member

(This is Matt Baker)

At the moment, neither position has been posted. The News-Leader isn't accepting outside applications. Not sure what will happen with the high school position, but the Cardinals beat is unlikely to be filled any time soon. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

And thanks for the kind words, brettwatson.

Draft saved Draft deleted